Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Filing with PDFs of Unsupported Forms

I need to file an individual return for a taxpayer that invests in a foreign partnership (forms 8865 & 8938) and an opportunity zone partnership (form 8997). ProConnect does not appear to support these forms. Any issue with e-filing the return and attaching PDFs of the unsupported forms (filled out separately of course)?

0 Cheers
14 Comments 14
George4Tacks
Level 15

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/electronic-filing/help/how-to-attach-a-pdf-to-form-1040-for-... 

Each would be a separate attachment. At the top of the left column is a search box. Enter the form and hit enter. I think you may find some entry points for these forms in the program

You can also look up available forms at https://proconnect.intuit.com/tax-online/forms-finder/ 

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!

Thanks for your reply.  It would be so much easier if Intuit had an on-line manual of some sort to help users inexperienced with the software find answers, and find resources such as the supported forms page you linked.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

This site has a rather crumby search feature. Do click on the product first then enter a very short set of key words and MAYBE. I also use Google Search "ProConnect unsupported forms that can be attached" is an example. If there is an answer for Lacerte, then it should apply to this product.

The program also has a search feature at the top of the left column. Again - either a single number (like form #) or word will help to find input. 

The program has just as good a manual as Windows has 😁 

Ask here and other users will try to help as soon as possible. 

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
itonewbie
Level 15

Just to add to George's helpful comments, you should only attach forms that are specifically identified and can be selected from the dropdown for Link to forms.  F.8865 happens to be one of those.  Other forms that are not available from the dropdown should never be attached because those will not be processed by the IRS.

By now, you should have found out the 3 forms that you mentioned, F.8865 is the only one that cannot be prepared with ProConnect Tax.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

Thanks for the helpful comment. I was not aware that the IRS will not process certain attached forms.  In that regard, I don't see the "Link to Forms" dropdown.  Where to I find that? (I see the "Manual Entry Forms" dropdown but this seems to link to NY forms only.)  Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Cheers

Thx. Sometimes the search turns up something helpful, and sometimes not (after a time consuming search).  By the way I did the spots to input the info to generate 2 of the forms I was looking for - 8938 and 8997.  I understand the 8865 is not supported.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@beepyoyo-sbcglob wrote:

By the way I did the spots to input the info to generate 2 of the forms I was looking for - 8938 and 8997.  I understand the 8865 is not supported.

Correct.  You can prepare both F.8938 and F.8997 with ProConnect Tax.  You will need to prepare F.8865 elsewhere, attach it as a PDF, and make sure you select F.8865 from the dropdown so that it can be properly identified by the IRS for processing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

Where do I find the "drop down" to select the 8865?  I don't see that.  Thx

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

See my first message for where it is.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

See also the link in George's initial response to you.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers

Ah, I now see the link to file box.

0 Cheers

I mean "link to form."  Thanks for all of the help!

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @beepyoyo-sbcglob. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers