Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCTO Tax Planner 2022: mystery tax credit & wrong SD

JanAtheCPA
Level 2

I'm trying to use the ProConnect Tax Planner so I can show a client with a complex 2021 situation how his taxes will change in 2022. 

The Planner has a lot of problems.  Intuit admits that there's no way to input Schedule E items (it's not a choice on the side bar, although Business and Farm are!) so you have to live with 2020 amounts carrying over - extremely incorrectly in my client's case, because the property was sold at a gain in 2021.  The foreign tax credit simply does not appear anywhere on the planner, and this client had a significant FTC in 2021 because the property was outside of the U.S.   Retirement withholding for the base year can't be adjusted in subsequent years. 

These seem to be programming choices or more likely lack of resources, programming expertise, or any desire to make this a useful module.

We also have a blatant numerical error, and a weird bug:

1.  The Planner is taking a 2022 standard deduction for a single taxpayer over age 65 of $14,850, which is just plain wrong - $150 too high.

2.  This client is single, never had dependents, and has only had retirement and investment income for years.  The Planner has incongruously given him a $500 tax credit in 2022.  It's labeled as a child or dependent credit.  I have no idea where this comes from, given his complete lack of children or other dependents other than his dog.  He has no earned income, hasn't had for years, and has never claimed any credits other than the FTC. I've gone through all of the credit inputs and worksheets, and It's a complete mystery. 

I can't figure out how to report PCO bugs. I don't want to call Tech Support, I just want to report this.  

Anyway, I'm sorry I wasted so much time trying to use the Planner. The 1040-ES worksheet already correctly estimated the client's liability for 2022, but it doesn't provide a format that is taxpayer-friendly, and I was hoping that the Planner would do so.  It does not.  I mean, it's taxpayer-friendly, but there's not point if the numbers are completely wrong.  It is, in fact, very unprofessional, and, for all of the many inputs, it's clearly not ready for any but the most simple of tax situations. 

0 Cheers