Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Getting ProConnect to Fill out form 5405 Correctly

AccountingExecs
Level 1

I am new to using ProConnect, and I am finding that it is not as easy to use as my prior software ATX.  ATX allowed for easy data input into forms that mirrored the IRS versions of each form.  ProConnect, however, does not.  As such, I am having a hard time filling out forms at time, and probably the most challenging has been Form 5405.

Back story:  I had a client that sold their home through a foreclosure in 2012.  They had received a credit in 2008 when they bought the place. They had been repaying their credit in prior years and up through 2021, they did not owe any more repayments at the time we received them as a client in 2023.  However, they had received a letter from the IRS stating that they still had a balance which we found out was due to a few prior forms returns not being filled out correctly.  We contacted the IRS, and they confirmed that no more payments were necessary and that we needed to fill out Form 5405 one more time with box 3b being checked and only Part III filled out.

To be clear, we have already updated the form for each spouse in ATX and filed their return for 2023, but now that I am switching to ProConnect, I am transferring their return manually to get a better feel for the software prior to the upcoming tax season, and to be able to roll over the return for the next year.  

This is where I am stuck.  I cannot get Form 5405 in ProConnect to update any section including just getting box 3b checked.  I'm very frustrated and would love any support I can get.

Thanks in advance!

Christopher W. Kent
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@AccountingExecs wrote:

I had a client that sold their home through a foreclosure in 2012. 

They had been repaying their credit in prior years and up through 2021,

Are you aware that they should NOT have been repaying the credit since 2012?  Their 2012 return should have reported the sale any the full repayment (if any) should have done in 2012.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
George4Tacks
Level 15

Search in the box above for something short like 5405

It gets you to https://accountants.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/homeowner-tax-credits-deductions/entering-...

Here is the input I made up - you do your own numbers. I think the key is the LOSS entry

Screenshot 2024-09-25 070946.jpg

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@AccountingExecs wrote:

I had a client that sold their home through a foreclosure in 2012. 

They had been repaying their credit in prior years and up through 2021,

Are you aware that they should NOT have been repaying the credit since 2012?  Their 2012 return should have reported the sale any the full repayment (if any) should have done in 2012.