Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get foreign wages (no W-2) to flow to line 1h?

DanGr
Level 1

How do i get the foreign wages to flow to form 1040 line 1h?

I'm entering the income under "Foreign Wages (Form 2555)", and ticking the box "Compensation not reported on W-2".

The wages still flow to form 1040 Ln 1a.

Just to clarify, I'm not asking about form 2555. just asking how to get it to appear on 1040 line 1h instead of 1a.

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

The forms instructions for Line 1h make no mention of foreign wages. Is there a reason you don't want it on 1a?

itonewbie
Level 15

Line 1a is where it'll go.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
DanGr
Level 1

OK. Thanks. I guess it doesn't really matter. Form 1040 says that 1a get's only W-2 wages.

CCH software like Axcess and prosystem fx have the non W-2 wages flow to line 1h.

It really does not make any difference. Just wanted to make sure i'm not missing any tick box.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Why do you guys say it should go on line 1a?  The Instructions specifically state that line 1a is for income in box 1 of a W-2, which does not apply.

Line 1h makes much more sense, and that is also where ProSeries puts foreign income.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

I agree 1h would be a more appropriate line.  In the absence of any official instructions, I'm fine with the program flowing the amount to 1a, particularly since there'll be no consequence and it'll cause no tax impact.

There are more important technical issues Intuit has yet to fix in their programming for international returns.  I'm not about to spend time fighting Intuit for something insignificant like this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@itonewbie wrote:

There are more important technical issues Intuit has yet to fix in their programming for international returns.  I'm not about to spend time fighting Intuit for something insignificant like this.

I agree, it isn't a big deal.

LOL.  Now, I'm picturing this scenario:  (1) you send Intuit a list of important problems/errors with great detail about the problems including citations for what is wrong and how to fix things, and (2) along with that detailed list you also said "oh, by the way, foreign wages should be on line 1h". 

I suspect I know what the developers would focus on.  🤣 😩

itonewbie
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill Lol, I should probably try this out. 😉

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Patrick99
Level 1

funny, I came here to see how to get my foreign wages out of line 1h and onto line 1a. Simply because that's how my paid preparer (EY big 4 tax firm) did it in previous years. They should know, right?? But it sounds like it doesn't matter. And true, my foreign wages are not on a w-2 which is what line 1a specifically  says. 

0 Cheers