Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I transfer partnership net income to Form 8582? Filer and spouse both have K-1s, passive losses for both transferring to 8582, but only income from one

laur730
Level 1
The Partnership is 50/50 for taxpayer and spouse
0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
itonewbie
Level 15

Deleted...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Check how you coded the spouse as active or passive partner and the type of income that's not flowing.  Checking Sch E, page 2, should also give you a clue.

If you could us more info about what you have entered and what you are seeing, we could then give you a better answer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
laur730
Level 1

I've now coded both taxpayer and spouse as non-passive, added net rental income to both K-1s, then added losses in the basis carryovers section.  There are prior year unallowed losses (8582, line 1c) and prior year passive losses (8582, line 2c).  When I add the passive c/o, it seems to make all the active participation information disappear.   Sched E p2 is just showing passive income and loss totals, but not pulling the specific partnership info.

What am I doing wrong?  (First year I'm using the ProConnect software, so user error is definitely a possibility!)

Thanks in advance.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

I'm confused.  Are the spouses active or passive partners?  If you're expecting the numbers to flow to F.8582, why should you identify them as general partners by checking these off as non-passive activities?

Also, F.8582 Lines 1(a) to (d) are specifically for rental R/E with active participation and these are for the special allowance that's computed in Part II.  Are they general or passive partners of these partnerships, are these rental income/losses coming from the K-1, and, if so, did they actively participate in these rental activities?

If you could clarify exactly what types of income and losses (separating what is current and suspended) you have, where you entered each of those amounts, and what you expected to see on which line on each form/schedule vs what is showing, that will give us more info to work with.  Giving us some numbers (even if fictitious) would help too.

Right now, your messages are just a bit confusing.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers