Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entry to ProConnect for Sch D, Long-Term transactions, how to show "Box D checked" and "Box E checked" regarding the basis reported/not reported to IRS

SunnySpring
Level 3

I need any suggestion or help regarding the entry (direct) to Sch D, from the Form 1099-B.

There are two transactions, both are long-term, but the first one on Form 1099-B stated that the basis is reported to the IRS, Report on Form 8949, Part II, with Box D checked.  

The second long-term transaction's description on Form 1099-B shows that the basis is not reported to the IRS, Report on Form 8949, Part II with Box E checked.

Since there are only two transactions, I entered the details directly on the screen for Sch D, and for the second tansaction, I entered 1 for the basis NOT reported to the IRS.

When I reviewed Schedule D, the first one was recorded in 8a (basis reported to the IRS), not 8b (basis reported to the IRS, Box D checked).  I had expected to see the first transaction in the line 8b.

The second transaction has been shown properly in the line 9 (for Box E checked).

You see, the first transaction wasn't in 8b, as I expected.  Since ProConnect's input screen page doesn't have any other box or line to manually designate the Box D of Form 8949 Part II, I don't know how to show the first transaction in 8b of Sch D.

Does anybody have an idea or suggestion or the right answer to resolve this?

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
George4Tacks
Level 15

For the most part, TRUST THE SOFTWARE.

If you have either a long term or short term transaction reported WITH BASIS they do not need to go to form 8949. That is why your first transaction (and potentially a whole bunch of transactions) should show up as a total of all long (8a) or short (1a) transactions. Those without basis MUST show up on 8949. 

You can FORCE everything to 8949 if you have a picky client that wants to see every transaction, but IRS doesn't care. The brokerage already told them, so there is no need to repeat it. 

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!