Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-filing for deceased person error for form 1310

TaxStyle
Level 2

I running into an issue while trying to e-file for a deceased person. Because there is a refund, so the system requires form 1310 to be filed. 

But after I go to that screen, it has a note says "Form 1310 is not required for a surviving spouse filing an original joint return or a personal representative filing an original Form 1040" and for my case is a personal representative.

But the critical error is there force me to fill out 1310, to mark Part I box A, B or C. But after I marked B gives me another error "Form 1310: The IRS's e-file specifications do not allow Form 1310 to be e-filed if Form 1310, Part I Box A (Surviving spouse, requesting reissuance of a refund check) is marked. In addition, the IRS's e-file specifications do not allow Form 1310 to be e-filed if Form 1310, Part I Box B (Court appointed personal representative is claiming the decedent's refund) is marked without Form 1040-X Amended Return. This return must be filed as a paper return." 

These errors just bring me back and forth between each other. 

So if I understand this right, I just simply cannot E-file? I called the customer service regarding this error, and apparently they have no idea what's happening on this one...

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

From Pub 559

Form 1310, Statement of Person Claiming Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer. Form 1310 doesn't have to be filed if you are claiming a refund and either of the following applies to you.
• You are a surviving spouse filing an original or amended joint return with the decedent.
You are a court-appointed or certified personal representative filing the decedent’s
original return and a copy of the court certificate showing your appointment is attached to the return.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

Looks like you have a paper return.

Ex-AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

From Pub 559

Form 1310, Statement of Person Claiming Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer. Form 1310 doesn't have to be filed if you are claiming a refund and either of the following applies to you.
• You are a surviving spouse filing an original or amended joint return with the decedent.
You are a court-appointed or certified personal representative filing the decedent’s
original return and a copy of the court certificate showing your appointment is attached to the return.

0 Cheers
TaxStyle
Level 2

yea, that's how it should be, but proconnect is not taking it lol

but it end up my client was appointed by the trust. so i guess it works at the end.

0 Cheers
TaxStyle
Level 2

ends up client was appointed by trust. so mark box C gives no error. i guess that's the way...

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

DO NOT ATTACH 1310. Attach the letter of appointment. Any refund will be to the Estate of .... 

You are likely seeing warnings that do NOT affect the efiling of the tax return.

precglide
Level 1

Intuit told me to check some box that lets me e-file while still having errors. Haven't tried it yet though.

0 Cheers