Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabled Adult Child

VegasBev
Level 1

My client has a disabled adult child who lived with the taxpayer for the entire year. I do not see where I can designate the dependent as disabled so the taxpayer's return is eligible for child tax credit. Please advise, thanks

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
dkh
Level 15

Where you enter the dependent in Part III of the Taxpayer Information Worksheet -  there are drop down codes for the EIC  - D is for disabled child age 19 or older      You'll also need to complete number of months , etc   

Taxpayer may be eligible to receive Other Dependent Credit  but not Child tax credit

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@VegasBev wrote:

My client has a disabled adult child who lived with the taxpayer for the entire year. I do not see where I can designate the dependent as disabled so the taxpayer's return is eligible for child tax credit. Please advise, thanks

If you enter a person as a dependent, the program should give the client the $500 "Other Dependent Credit".  There is no need to enter a person as disabled for that.

Being disabled does not mean they would qualify for the $2000 Child Tax Credit.