Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnostic Errors

ihs-sam
Level 1

Hello community, 

I am having an issue with diagnostics. We converted our files from another software. All clients that were converted now have an active 2023 return started. When opened, they all have the same 2 diagnostics. One about an amended return (I've figured out how to fix this.) and "Dependent #1: Relationship is invalid. The following are valid relationships: Son, Daughter, Foster Child, Grandchild, Grandparent, Parent, Brother, Sister, Aunt, Uncle, Nephew, Niece, Stepchild, Half Brother, Half Sister, Stepbrother, Stepsister, None or Other."

The dependent error shows up even when they don't have dependents. All information is correct. This diagnostic is preventing dependent care credits from being calculated. What could have been converted and where is it to make it cause these problems?! Is anyone else having this issue?

The only solution I've found is to start a brand new return. I don't want to have to re-enter everything for 400+ clients. 

Help!

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
George4Tacks
Level 15

Contact support.

MY GUESS - you did proformaed from 22 to 23 too soon. If you do this now, MAYBE you will get better results.

A possible cure to this error (tedious) - Enter a dependent in the return. Exit the Return. Enter the return and delete the dependent. 

Sometimes weird non visible ASCII characters creep into input. 

I hope things go better for you from here on in.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns