Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client spread 2020 Distributions over 3 years under 8915E. Bought home in 2021, where can I apply $10,000 exclusion in 2021 for this year's distribution amount?

Comun1dad
Level 1

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
qbteachmt
Level 15

"where can I apply $10,000 exclusion in 2021 for this year's distribution amount?"

The 2021 1099-R is going to be entered differently and separately from the carry over of 2020 covid-related distributions with deferred reporting for income tax purposes. That's because these are two different provisions.

Is that what you mean?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
qbteachmt
Level 15

Let me try it this way:

The 3-year carryover from a 2020 covid-related distribution will be reported on Form 8915-F, which hasn't appeared in an update, yet.

The penalty waiver for first time home buyer for early withdrawal is Form 5329.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/110415/can-you-use-your-ira-buy-house.asp

You can use your covid money for anything you want, but that doesn't change the distribution rule it fell under. Spending it on a home has nothing to do with tax reporting for the three-year rule. And, the disaster provision for a home in 2021 has nothing to do with disaster provisions in 2020. I don't really know where buying a home fits into this discussion.

Hope that helps.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.