Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are many fields marked with the wrong state when proformaed?

JEJ
Level 1

It seems that there are many fields (carryovers, etc) that are marked with the non-residential state during the proforma process.  I'm not sure what this could potentially affect, but it makes me nervous so I end up changing the state back to the residental state.  Does the "Database Report State" field on screen 1 Client Info (under Miscellaneous Info) mean anything?  It also usually seems to default to the non-residential state even though Lacerte help says that field should match the Resident State as of 12/31.  It often doesn't.  Any thoughts?

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Sometimes the state-specific proforma items are actually relevant to the non-resident return. Lacerte does a surprisingly good job keeping track of state-specific passive loss carryforwards.

I keep an Excel file so I know what the state-specific items should be, and can correct them as needed. Most of the time, the corrections are for "-1 errors" - when there's actually a dollar of calculated loss and Lacerte interprets the result of the calculation as zero.

JEJ
Level 1

I agree that Lacerte is pretty good at the state specific things - EXCEPT when it comes to the proforma process.  It seems many times all the PAL carryovers are coded to the non-resident state and not what it should be.  Has anyone else experienced that.

0 Cheers