Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Allocation Incorrect?

Emm1234
Level 3

I have a client that was a full year resident of OK. However, he has O&G royalty income from 3 other states (And none from OK) LA, TX, and AR. I have allocated income by selecting next to each entry which state that income (and expense) should go to. When reviewing the forms, my AR and LA returns look to be allocating correctly. However, my OK return is showing all the O&G income (Including taking depletion). I entered the out of state income on the state modification screen, but this made my OK AGI negative because of the depletion, so I overrode the depletion to make it 0. Did I miss an allocation somewhere that would make this easier, or is this just the way to do it?? Even though I got the result I wanted, I think it would be helpful to learn if there is an easier/more correct way to do this. Thank you in advance. 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Yes, you missed a checkbox. In the O&G screen, Property subscreen, check the Out of state property {OK} box.

Screenshot 2022-03-24 152352.png

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

OK taxes all of the OK resident's income. He gets a credit on the OK return for tax paid to other states.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

That's not true for O&G. Backing it out as out of state income is the correct treatment.

PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Yes, you missed a checkbox. In the O&G screen, Property subscreen, check the Out of state property {OK} box.

Screenshot 2022-03-24 152352.png

sjrcpa
Level 15

Thanks for correcting me. I should have known better than to opine on this.

@Emm1234  Phoebe is the oil & gas and OK guru around here.

Ex-AllStar
Emm1234
Level 3

Oh thank you! I don't know how I missed that honestly. 

0 Cheers