Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring files from flash drive

timgdesmond
Level 1

Is anyone else having an issue restoring client file from on computer to another via flash drive?

9 Comments 9
abctax55
Level 15

Just today?

In general?

And, what type of 'problem'?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Ward
Level 2

When I try to Restore from a flash drive to my backup computer (Dell laptop), some file crash the program, and I have to End Task and reboot.  I'm currently trying to determine which client files are causing the crash.

DWCPA
Level 2

Hi Ward, I am also experiencing the same issue as you when restoring clients to a flash drive. If you determine what file may be causing this error, would you please let me know? Thank you in advance! 

0 Cheers
timgdesmond
Level 1

Per Lacerte there is an internal software problem that is causing the problem and hope to have it fixed by 3/22 update.

I was able to have it fixed using the share screen with a tech support from Lacerte. I had to keep calling until I found someone that could help.

DWCPA
Level 2

Thank you Timgdesmond. 3/22 is quite the ways away. 

What was your fix to this issue? 

0 Cheers
taxed2max
Level 3

Same problem.  It is being caused by the 2023 Lacerte Error \"An Item with the same key has already been added\" When Backing Up Clients to a Flash Drive.  This is an error being caused when backing up a file.  The client is NOT backed up yet it still writes a little something to the flash so reading the flash with explorer you would think the file is there.  When you go and restore this badly backed up file it locks up the program completely and end task/restart is your only option.    

Got the same email today saying next update is March 22, but they are also stating NO ETA for the fix here.  Once got it to work by renumbering the client.  Not the next time.  Also tried changing names by adding temp but didn't work.  Also tried backup to hard drive/desktop folder then copy/paste folder to flash.  Tech support says this has worked for some people, but not for me.  And in case tech support is reading this, fwiw, both clients did work fine until after I did Schedule D imports and now they don't.  

DWCPA
Level 2

If this may help, my firm found a work-a-round by using a computer with a fresh clean install of lacerte to e-file tax returns. No issues since. Almost all of our primary computers we used had some form of error whether it be backing up after editing a client's tax data, or restoring clients. Also any clients that experience the lacerte error when backing up are immediately "broken" and we have not found a fix other then going back to a prior version of the client that did not error. 

For our primary computers, it didn't matter what schedule we made changes to, even changing a number by one digit caused it to not be able to back-up without erroring. 

I suggest using a desktop with a clean install of lacerte to edit any client's tax data and e-file until Lacerte issues out a fix. 

taxed2max
Level 3

Well heads up though, Lacerte install puts a specific "machine ID" that is unique to each installation, and you can only retrieve ack files on the machine ID that did the transmission.  So transmissions on additional machines will not be retrievable on main machines once a fix is done (at least not in the standalone environment).

abctax55
Level 15

I just encountered this problem.

I backed up from a machine with Win10, restored at home to a machine with Win11.

No problem.... until I went to back up my work.

Renumbering didn't solve the problem.

I have no idea if this is pertinent or not - just adding to the troubleshooting.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers