Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

real estate distribution in a complex trust

esctan
Level 2

A complex trust that has been paying tax on trust level is distributing a piece of property to one of the two beneficiaries. Lacerte will not show the distribution amount on schedule B unless current income is distributed to this Beneficary. Does this mean that current year income has to be allocated to beneficiary who receive the property?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Distributions by definition carry out distributable net income. If the trust document permits or requires "separate shares" accounting, you'll want to maintain a side schedule for the things that aren't prorata.

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Distributions by definition carry out distributable net income. If the trust document permits or requires "separate shares" accounting, you'll want to maintain a side schedule for the things that aren't prorata.

esctan
Level 2

Thank you, Phoebe.

esctan
Level 2
Sorry, I need more help. This complex trust has 2 beneficiaries 50/50. Basis of distributed real property   ($300K+) , which is way in excess of distributable net income (DNI), should the DNI ($36K) be allocated to both beneficiaries 50/50 or just the recipient of the property for 100%?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Did the other beneficiary get any distributions?

Ex-AllStar
esctan
Level 2

One beneficiary gets a rental property, the other one gets nothing for now.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Then only the one who got the property gets the income.

Ex-AllStar
esctan
Level 2

Thank you, sjacpa.

0 Cheers
esctan
Level 2

Hi sjrcpa:

Will the following detail make a difference? There were 2 rental properties in this complex trust. Bene #1 got one rental and turn into his principal residence. The only income from this trust is rental income from the remaining rental.  Should I allocate all the $30K rental income to this bene #1? Thank you for your advise. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes, based on your pervious statements that this beneficiary received a property distribution and the other beneficiary received -0-.

Ex-AllStar
esctan
Level 2

Hi sjrcpa,

I am still confused. Is the "yes' refers to the fact pattern change that the distribution should be 50/50 or "yes" to "allocating all rental income to bene #1" as he gets the only distribution this year and bene #2 get $0 for now. I think the complex trust will go on for years to come. Thank you for your help.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes all income to  beneficiary #1 who got the property distribution.

Ex-AllStar
esctan
Level 2

sjrcpa, thank you very much for your kind help!

0 Cheers