Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I enter the adjusted cost for RSU's sold during the year?

bernie10
Level 3

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

The reporting for disposition of RSU is no different from how you'd report the sale of securities your client purchased from the markets.

That's why Phoebe says you'd just enter the amount under cost or other basis.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
itonewbie
Level 15

What would you like to adjust?  Basis is the FMV reported at vesting on the W-2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
bernie10
Level 3

I agree.  I have an Fidelity 1099 that shows proceeds for RSU's and "0" in the cost column (basis not reported to IRS.  I then have a Supplemental Statement (not reported to the IRS) that shows the adjusted cost.  The question remains where to report the adjusted cost.

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Cost or other basis goes in the column headed cost or other basis.

itonewbie
Level 15

The reporting for disposition of RSU is no different from how you'd report the sale of securities your client purchased from the markets.

That's why Phoebe says you'd just enter the amount under cost or other basis.

Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

What you enter is not an adjustment but merely cost basis that was not provided to the IRS.

Still an AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I have an Fidelity 1099 that shows proceeds"

A 1099-B is from sales, because either the client or the employer sold shares. The typical RSU process is to sell some of the shares when they vest to help pay the payroll tax that is owed on the entire amount that just vested. That's the basis date.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
bernie10
Level 3

thank you

0 Cheers