Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sale of Washington DC rental and Foreign Service W-2, Virginia resident

bjscheel
Level 3

I am in Iowa so this is out of my realm.  Couple of questions.  Client is a foreign service officer based in Africa.  Now doing 2023 return.  California has been her domicile, but in August 2023 she bought a home in Virginia.  

She sold a Washington, DC rental house that she has been depreciating.  She has never been a resident of DC, so Lacerte is not generating a normal return, just a D-40B (more on that later).  Does the sale need to be on a DC-30?  We do not prepare that form for her.

Her W-2 has never had a state listed before.  This year it has DC and a small amount of DC withholding.  I'm presuming because she was pulled out of Africa temporarily.  Lacerte generates the D-40B to get that withholding back since she is a nonresident.  She does not have to report that W-2 income on a Virginia return as a part year resident, does she?  There is no Virginia withholding at all, and I'm not sure she worked after moving to VA.

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
sjrcpa
Level 15

The rental activity and the sale of the rental get reported on D-30.

You'll need to ask her where she earned these "DC wages". If while living in VA then they are taxable to VA.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers