Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nonresident Virginia for Taxpayer only

Baseball97
Level 1

I am trying to get Lacerte to file a MFS return only for the taxpayer. I have a joint return and both are residents of NC. The taxpayer works in Va and has to file a VA Nonresident return. Virginia does not allow a Joint return to be filed for Nonresidents unless both taxpayers have Virginia income which is not the case. I cannot figure out how to make Lacerte file a Nonresident MFS return for the taxpayer only when the 1040 and NC returns are joint. Can someone provide some help on how to fix this.  

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
tyler919
Level 3

You're not going to like the answer:

While some states make it easier, Lacerte's general answer is to:

-create the Federal and NC MFJ returns (and file them)

- Split the return using the MFJ/MFS comparison form splitter

-on the Va Taxpayers MFS return, check that it has his information only, then create a MFS state for VA.

You can try to efile the VA only, but likely it will be a Mail in.

Baseball97
Level 1

Tyler,

Thank you for your response. You are correct that I was not pleased with the answer. I think it will be easier to do the return manually through a PDF file on the Virginia site rather than having to split the return after filing the resident state. Disappointing that the program will not handle this since it is clearly stated in the Virginia instructions that this is the only way this situation can be filed.