Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect FMV for charitable gifts on Form 8283.

msindc1
Level 4

I have a client who donated some appreciated stock to her donor advised fund.  The basis was $1,541 and the value was $5,111.  I entered these figures in Screen 26.

Form 8283 is reporting that the donor's cost was $1,541 and the fair market value was $38,242.

I cannot figure out why Lacerte thinks that the FMV was $38,242 and not the actual $5,111!

When I go to the form and Jump to Input, it puts the cursor in the field for "1=deductible amount determined on Form 1098-C, 2=equivalent".  Changing that changes nothing.  I cannot see anything in Screen 26 that seems to relate.

What else can I do that would tell me where that figure is coming from?!

Micah

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Input:

Screenshot 2023-10-04 093110.jpg

Output:

Screenshot 2023-10-04 093223.jpg

msindc1
Level 4

Phoebe:

Thanks for responding.

What you've got is exactly what I've got in screen 26, and yet my Form 8283 Part I column H amount is $38,242!

Is there a way to trace where that number comes from?

Micah

The method I use is Catalog.

I don't pick an AGI limitation.

0 Cheers
msindc1
Level 4

The question relates not to general inputs for these transactions but determining where the Form 8283 inputs are.  The method of valuation and AGI limitation fields do not impact that.

I tried.  You know about Form 26 and the deduction override which is Code 9. You might need to call tech support and submit the file for them to find ghost entries.

0 Cheers
msindc1
Level 4

Yup.  Ultimately, that is what I have had to do.

Lacerte seems to create a strange number for the deduction amount based on whatever you type for the FMV of the donated property.  I don't know how it generates that number, though the number varies depending on whether you select high or low (or something like that).

The only way I could get the return to show the right data was to use the override "Contribution deduction" field.  It leaves the FMV field on the Form 8283 blank, which is not ideal, but it populates Line 12 (gifts to charity other than cash) with the correct number.

So I guess the workaround is to use the override.

Thanks all!

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

There's a glitch in that charitable item. Delete the whole entry and re-enter it.