Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I lost all my clients in the 2020, 2021, 2022 tax programs what can I do to recover them?

Bennett2014
Level 1
How can I talk to a person?
0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

A person at Lacerte is unlikely to help you. You need to go to your backup drive and restore. Possibly a local tech company can help you recover your files from a corrupt drive. Give more detail and maybe someone can give you more guidance.

Contact Support https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/taxation/contact-lacerte-help/L4c6BR3CZ_US_...

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!
abctax55
Level 15

OR.... verify your data path is set correctly.

(unless George is right & your hard drive has failed... NMI)

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
TaxPandaCPA
Level 4

Did you lock the returns - sorry to hear you lost the data. 

However you can actually retrieve copies of your past tax returns via several ways below

1. Online via IRS Get Transcript Service:

• Visit the IRS Get Transcript page: Go to Get Transcript.
  • Create or log in to your IRS account: If you don’t have an account, you’ll need to create one by verifying your identity.
  • Request a Transcript: You can choose to view, download, or print your tax transcripts. A transcript shows most line items from your tax return, but not the full form. You can select either the “Tax Return Transcript” or “Tax Account Transcript.”
  • Availability: Transcripts are available for the current tax year and the previous three years.

2. By Mail:

• Form 4506-T: Use this form to request a transcript of your tax return. Mail or fax the completed form to the address provided on the form.
  • Form 4506: To request a full copy of your tax return, use Form 4506. There is a fee of $43 per return, and it can take up to 75 days to process.

3. By Phone:

• Call the IRS: You can request a transcript by calling the IRS at 1-800-908-9946. Follow the prompts to have your transcript mailed to you. This service is available for the current year and the past three years.

4. Through a Tax Professional:

• If you worked with a tax preparer or accountant, they might have copies of your past returns. Contact them to see if they can provide you with a copy.

5. IRS2Go App:

• You can also use the IRS2Go mobile app to request your tax transcript. The process is similar to the online Get Transcript service.

Notes:

• Processing Time: Mailed transcripts typically arrive in 5 to 10 days, but full tax returns requested with Form 4506 can take longer.
  • Fees: While transcripts are free, obtaining a full copy of your tax return comes with a fee.
  • Years Available: Transcripts are available for the current tax year and the past three years, while full copies of tax returns can be requested for up to seven years.
Hope it helps. Thank you in advance for marking mine as your "BEST answer"!