Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make Stock from K-1 qualify as QSBS

XavierP
Level 1

Hi Everyone, I have a client that received K-1's from an SPV, AngelList that has some QSBS capital gains. Per AngelList, the SPV itself is not QSB, but the underlying portfolio company is section 1202.

I am trying to figure out how to record it. I don't know if it would be a good idea to remove the capital gains from the the K-1 entry and record it directly on Form 8949. Then I can make the stock qualify for section 1202. 

Do you guys have a better idea?

Thanks a lot.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Bear in mind that your client has to have owned the K-1 entity for a qualifying holding period, too. 

I back it out of the K-1 input and enter it as a separate Sch D transaction, then make some entry (can link the Sch D sometimes, or just make an Other Adjustment to Basis in the K-1 input) to get the K-1 basis right.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Bear in mind that your client has to have owned the K-1 entity for a qualifying holding period, too. 

I back it out of the K-1 input and enter it as a separate Sch D transaction, then make some entry (can link the Sch D sometimes, or just make an Other Adjustment to Basis in the K-1 input) to get the K-1 basis right.

XavierP
Level 1

Thanks a million!