Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I fix DCB being $5046 when client paid $5000 in DCB and paid $4954 in actual day care?

jpapaxle26
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think you want to report what was actually paid and let nature take its course.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Are you saying $5046 is showing up as taxable?

If so, do both spouses (assuming it is a MFJ return) have "earned" income showing up on Lines 4 AND 5 of Form 2441?

George4Tacks
Level 15
Are you saying the W-2 is wrong? If so, have client contact employer and get the w-2 reissued.

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

So they actually paid $9,954 total? Then all $9,954 goes on the children's dependency lines and the F2441. The $5,000 exclusion goes on line 10 of the W2.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

I'll try a look into the crystal ball.  You entered $5,000 of box 10 DCB for two different W-2s, giving you a total of $10,000 DCB of which only $4,954 was spent.

For $46, I probably wouldn't care too much.  But how this is *supposed* to work is that your client may put in $5,000 but if only $4,954 was reimbursed by the plan and the rest either carried over or forfeited you need to make an entry to flow the $46 to Form 2441 box 14 to keep it from being reported as taxable.

The reporting on this stuff went a little sideways once they started allowing the 2 1/2 month grace period such that the W-2s have to be filed BEFORE the employer knows how much money will actually be reimbursed for the particular tax year.

Rick