Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depreciation - end of class life issue

catax
Level 1

I have a rental building that has 6 months left of depreciation on its 27.5 year class life. That final depreciation amount is not showing up on Sch E and the depreciation tables. Why?

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Does the prior depreciation indicate it is already fully depreciated?

catax
Level 1

The "Prior Depreciation" amount is less than the Cost Basis amount; with the difference being the final half year amount.  Yet the "Current Depreciation" column shows zero.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Weird.  And you've confirmed that this is the last year (it would not calculate if for some reason last year was the last year)?  Double check the "placed in service date".

Otherwise, it seems to be a rather bizarre glitch.

0 Cheers
catax
Level 1

Placed in service 4/1/1993

Cost Basis: 217,950

Prior Dep: 213,990

Method: S/L MM 27.5yrs

Curr. Dep : 0.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Just override it to the correct amount.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
catax
Level 1

How would I go about overriding it?  Thanks.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@catax wrote:

Placed in service 4/1/1993

27.5 years ended in 2020.  That is why there is no depreciation this year.

0 Cheers
catax
Level 1

Agreed.  But that does not explain why there is still a difference between basis and prior depr.  I just followed @sjrcpa 's suggestion and forced the remaining amount onto the depreciation table to close it out.

Thanks for the feedback.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You can't claim depreciation after the Recovery Period, so you are not allowed to do that.

So either your "prior depreciation" is wrong, or somewhere some depreciation was missed (and that can only be fixed by amending that year that it was missed, not claiming it in the current year).