Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

critical diagnostic warming on e-filing 2022 CA amended tax return 540X

hgtc
Level 5

We tried to e-file 2022 CA amended tax return for a client (no change to federal return).  Lacerte has critical warming said "for amended CA 540 return, an amount of overpayment applied to next year is not allowed for amended e-filing.

In client's original form 540, we had portion of overpayment applied to 2023 already.  Can we use e-filing for this 2022 CA 540X?

If yes, how can we override this critical warming?

Thanks.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Changing the story doesn't change the fact that CA doesn't allow applying the refund on an amended return.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
abctax55
Level 15

CA doesn't allow for applying a refund generated by an Amended return.  The overpayment from the original that was applied should still be in place.  Your client will have to settle for a paper check.  You 'could' try having them send the check back when it arrives, with a note to 'apply to 2023'.   That has worked in the past (with the FTB & the IRS) but I'm not sure I trust them to not lose it in their system for a long, long, long  time....

( Generic Comment )"
hgtc
Level 5

Sorry, thought I had followed-up information for this issue late Friday...

In original filed CA form 540 my client had 1st quarter 2023 estimated tax applied and received refund for the remaining overpayment.

In this amended 540X, we request additional refund (due to increases in itemized deductions) to be refunded with check.  We tried to e-file this CA amended return.  But, Lacerte diagnostic said "can not have overpayment applied in form 540".

Any suggestion?  Thanks.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Changing the story doesn't change the fact that CA doesn't allow applying the refund on an amended return.

( Generic Comment )"
hgtc
Level 5

got it.  will just use paper filing.  Thanks.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

YVW - CA can dictatorial

( Generic Comment )"