Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California Franchise Tax

mhlester
Level 3

Hi,

If a foreign corporation, not qualified to do business in California, does business in California in 2020, files a California franchise tax return and pays the minimum tax for 2020, does not do business in California 2021, but will do business in California in 2022, should it file a California return, apportioning all income out of California, and pay the minimum franchise tax for 2021?

Thanks, Michael

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

I would recommend yes. CA rules are usually that the minimum franchise tax is owed if the entity even continues to exist.

That, and fighting FTB on this for all the notices you'll get will likely be more than $800 of yours and your client's stress and time.

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

I would recommend yes. CA rules are usually that the minimum franchise tax is owed if the entity even continues to exist.

That, and fighting FTB on this for all the notices you'll get will likely be more than $800 of yours and your client's stress and time.

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE: should it file a California return, apportioning all income out of California, and pay the minimum franchise tax for 2021?

NOT merely recommended, but definitely yes.

CA corporate tax for year 1 is for the privilege of doing business in year 2.  See California Revenue & Tax Code Section 23151.

Then you may ask, how about the final year?  Section 23151.2 basically says the final year's franchise tax is for the privilege of dissolving or withdrawing.

BUT, the corporate tax for the first year is waived.  Who says CA is not business friendly? 

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
mhlester
Level 3

Thank you, joshuabarksatics.

I am definitely going to file and pay the minimum franchise tax!

Michael

0 Cheers