Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pennsylvania Form PA-40 Schedule D e-file diagnostic error - using date disposed of 'various'

RHz
Level 1

A question for Pennsylvania professionals, as I only prepare one PA return:  I'm reporting summary totals for 800+ stock transactions and attaching a PDF of the details.   I get an critical e-file diagnostic error code19621 when I enter "various" or leave the date blank for date of disposition.    PA-40 instructions on page 32 indicate various is acceptable when entering summary totals.    If I bypass the diagnostic and use "various", will the return reject?  How do you deal with this situation?   Maybe just enter 12/31/22?

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
Accountant-Man
Level 13

The sale date of 12/31/xx works, but the purchase date of Various might not. I forget.

Please note that you MUST enter T or S or J for ownership of the assets sold, or else PA40 might not treat them properly. PA40 is effectively a joint Single return since it has a flat 3.07% tax on all income, and losses are not allowed to offset other income, including BETWEEN SPOUSES!

I.E, if TP has gains and SP has losses, THEY DO NOT OFFSET ON THE PA 40.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.