Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MFS Extension

jerry
Level 5

I need to file an extension for a couple in California.

They will file MFS due to high income and the Mental Health Services Tax.  Because California is a community property state, I first prepare the return as MFJ, and then have Lacerte split it using community property rules.

In the past, I've filed a joint extension for them, and despite the (somewhat vague) language in the 4868 instructions, the IRS has complained that a proper extension wasn't filed for spouse's MFS return, despite her name and SSN on the joint 4868.

Last year, I split the returns early and e-filed separate 4868's for each.  But then the filing history for the extensions was over-ridden when I finished the MFJ return and performed the actual split.

Does anyone have a Lacerte procedure that avoids the pitfalls?

Thanks

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Split, e-file extension, rename extension files. Split into a new batch of split files that don't overwrite the renamed extension files, e-file tax returns.

Note that you have the ability to pick names when you do the split. The initial renaming is belt-and-suspenders, because sometimes we all get click-happy.

jerry
Level 5

Uggh, I was afraid I'd have to do something like this.  So the extension acknowledgements will end up in different client ID's than the regular e-filed returns, right?

0 Cheers