Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS Addresses vs Stamps.com - USPS to PDS Addresses?

colinsbray
Level 3

Seeking some guidance on IRS addresses & haven't been able to track down exactly what I need. TLDR: Can you ship certified USPS mail to IRS PDS addresses?

We use stamps.com for all in-house mailing, certified included. Works great 99% of the time. However, there are some IRS mailing addresses with no street address and no "zip+4" codes that it can't decipher. Example:

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE CENTER
KANSAS CITY MO 64999

Stamps.com will not print such addresses as-is & will "correct" the address to what is typically the PDS address. However, I cannot confirm anywhere whether or not it is acceptable to use USPS to ship packages to the PDS address.

I think in this case I will just use UPS to be on the safe side, but would much appreciate if anyone can direct me to an official answer, or at the very least share some experiences. Thank you in advance.

Screenshot 2022-08-18 111233.jpg

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
BobKamman
Level 15

I have run across that problem using Stamps.com.  I think I just print the label (or envelope) and cross out the street address -- but I'm not sure that's necessary.  It's like if someone gives you both a street address and a PO Box address, because they don't know whether you will ship USPS or UPS, the Post Office knows to use the box number.  (In case you wonder, I make a living with online sales, tax returns are just a hobby.)  

But others will point out that certified mail doesn't prove anything.  You could send an empty envelope to IRS.  It probably slows things down, while it's in the pile that someone signs for once a week.  When I want delivery confirmation, I use Priority Mail or First-Class Package rate.  And I tell my clients not to waste their money on certified, both when sending me stuff and when sending IRS stuff.  It does not get any special handling.  For that, you have to pay lots more for Registered, and the Post Office clerks will always try to talk you out of it because it's a nuisance for them.  

colinsbray
Level 3

Thank you! Appreciate the insight.

Crossing out the street address is an interesting thought. Although in the cases when it actually changes the zip code as well when it adds a street address... But I agree with you, USPS should be smart enough, especially when delivering to a giant IRS campus.

Regarding certified vs Priority, in most cases Certified + First Class actually ends up being close to half the price of Priority depending on what we are sending. I absolutely agree Certified does not provide the assurance that one expects it to, but truth be told we are mainly using it over Priority for cost purposes. We have had items returned to us when attempting to send large envelopes via First Class with tracking if the envelope isn't 3/4" thick. The reasoning on the "RTS" points to the thickness issue & states to use Priority or Certified when tracking is desired on envelopes. But, with Stamps.com, the 941-X's for ERCs I sent yesterday were $6.81 with Certified + Electronic Return Receipt. They would have been about $8 if sent Priority. Splitting hairs, but it ends up being a cost-effective option, and clients seem to like knowing their items were sent certified, if only due to the misconception you mentioned.

BobKamman
Level 15

I have sent a lot of First Class packages that are not 3/4" thick and none has been returned.  Frequent shippers suggest enclosing a styrofoam "peanut" if that issue is anticipated, but IRS probably would not appreciate that.  A binder clip or several paper clips would also make it acceptable, or a stiff piece of cardboard.  We keep bubble-wrap envelopes around for such purposes.  

I have clients tell me they used Certified, return receipt requested, and never received the postcard back.  I think the Post Office is moving away from those, they encourage online delivery confirmation.  I agree, use whatever method is cheapest.

colinsbray
Level 3

Clever with the binder clips! Thank you.

The Stamps.com SDC-3610 labels don't have a physical return receipt but instead allow for electronic return receipt. They're easy to save once the email comes through. I put the client name in the "first name" field and the form in "last name." Perhaps it's wonky, but when the receipt confirmations come back, "Dear Company XYZ 2021 1120-S," it makes it simpler to identify what mailing it pertains to.

Screenshot 2022-08-18 135434.jpg

tn_david
Level 1

Here's a screenshot of how I got it to with with stamps.com.
Using version 19.2.1 (build 4621)

IRS Address.jpg

BobKamman
Level 15

Beware of the danger of using UPS Ground.  It's not on the list of approved IRS private mail delivery services.  If you're trying to meet a statute date, don't use it.  I regularly see Tax Court cases that are dismissed because the petition was sent but not delivered within 90 days, but using UPS Ground, which doesn't count.  

0 Cheers
tn_david
Level 1
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

The list where UPS Ground is not included. 

0 Cheers