Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Enter Disaster Area in Lacerte

JS
Level 2

In Lacerte where do you enter disaster area information?

For CA- the FTB just sent out a notice that for the San Diego Flood Disaster extended due date of June 17, 2024

when they file their California tax return they must indicate that they qualify for relief by either:

• Following the instructions in their tax software to enter disaster information; or
  • For those paper filing, by writing “San Diego flood disaster” in blue or black ink at the top of their tax return.

Where do we enter this information in Lacerte? 

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
JS
Level 2

This was sent as a Flash email from Spidell today - see Lacerte input below. 

FTB clarifies tax software input for San Diego disaster victim taxpayers (05-24-24)

As we previously reported, for San Diego County storm victims, the FTB is reinstating the pre-2023 disaster relief postponement procedures. Taxpayers who qualify for the June 17, 2024, disaster-related filing and payment postponement for San Diego County (due to the storms and flooding in January 2024) must indicate when they file their California tax return that they qualify for relief by either:

• Following the instructions in their tax software to enter disaster information; or
  • For those paper filing, by writing “San Diego flood disaster” in blue or black ink at the top of their tax return.
    (FTB Tax News Flash (May 17, 2024))
However, many tax professionals, especially those using Lacerte software, have indicated that they were not able to locate where to input the disaster information.

We have received the following information from the FTB and Lacerte regarding how to input this information.

In the Lacerte individual entity product:
  • Go to Screen 4, Electronic Filing;
  • Go to the e-file PDF/Miscellaneous section;
  • Under the Miscellaneous subsection, enter the disaster relief explanation (e.g., San Diego County flood) in the Disaster relief explanation field. 
  •  

Note: The entry above will be passed into the electronic California individual tax return when the state return is electronically filed.

In the Lacerte business, fiduciary, and exempt entity products, the user input is in a similar location as the above. However, the e-file capability for the Disaster relief explanation field for these entities will be added on an upcoming production release currently planned for Thursday, May 30th. 

View solution in original post

16 Comments 16
abctax55
Level 15

Screen 3, right under HOH Spouse Exemption, there's  a box for *Form 1040 text*.  

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
JS
Level 2

If it is just text showing on the 1040 - Will this also be reported to the State - CA when we file.

abctax55
Level 15

It doesn't seem to print... so I don't know.

Maybe @George4Tacks knows?

( Generic Comment )"
George4Tacks
Level 15

Everyone that works for FTB is brilliant, so they will automatically know that the return is being filed for that area and will do the right thing. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
amec
Level 4

I called. They don't have an answer yet.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Really.... not available yet?   Why not, it was announced yesterday !  /S

( Generic Comment )"
kt2jdtsmom
Level 2

Ftb just assessed my client late filing penalties and underpayment penalties that were incorrect because they didn't realize they were in disaster zone since it wasn't written on top. I really don't understand since their mailing address is San Diego AND Page one has a box that lists the county the register is in (also San Diego in my case). Now I'm worried about all those other returns that have already been filed between April and now🤦🏻‍♀️

amec
Level 4

The problem is that the FTB just made this announcement about a week ago.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsroom/news-releases/2023-05-reminder-for-san-diego-county-taxpay...

It is not how this was handled for the last few disasters, so tax software companies probably did not expect this. Though they do need to address it and quickly.

I think you are making all valid points - the county is listed on individual returns and the cities in the addresses should be in the FTB's software by county for entity returns - the FTB should be able to adjust for this accordingly.

But that's not the choice they are making and I'm sure my clients will get notices as well. Fortunately, we extended most, but certainly not all.

JS
Level 2

I have found two places in Lacerte that may be helpful but not sure-

screen 4.4 eFile PDF/Miscellaneous 

there is a line for Disaster relief explanation

and just below that in CA Misc section - Special Processing-  there is a line for special condition ( which is below the "out of country" check box)- which seems that it may alert the FTB of a special condition, but I am not sure if it is only specific to the "out of country" info

Does anyone know where either of these populate on the efile tax return? Has anyone used them?  I have called Lacerte and asked where these lines go and if it would fulfill the need- and customer support did not know.

kt2jdtsmom
Level 2

Well, now I'm afraid to file anyone who owes until Lacerte comes up with a fix😬

JS
Level 2
Below is the latest update I received from Lacerte from when I originally contacted support:

2023 FID CA: Unable to add Disaster name for 5/17/2024 San Diego County Floods
( I think they meant 6/17/24)

For individual returns:

1) Go to Screen 4, Electronic Filing.
2) Go to the e-file PDF/Miscellaneous section.
3) Under the Miscellaneous subsection, enter the disaster relief explanation in the Disaster relief explanation field.

For Business, Fiduciary, and Exempt Organization returns, input is in a similar location for each module, however the Disaster Relief Explanation currently is not included in the e-file. We are adding e-file capabilities for this field, and are tentatively planned to be released on May 30th's update.

Our next update is currently scheduled to occur on or before: 05/31/24

We thank you for your patience.
Intuit Customer Success

amec
Level 4

Does the input for that box get sent to CA or just the IRS?

0 Cheers
kt2jdtsmom
Level 2

Since there is a field that indicates San Diego County, it would be REALLY nice if Lacerte added a diagnostic reminder to enter this information when the new update is released!!  

0 Cheers
JS
Level 2

This was sent as a Flash email from Spidell today - see Lacerte input below. 

FTB clarifies tax software input for San Diego disaster victim taxpayers (05-24-24)

As we previously reported, for San Diego County storm victims, the FTB is reinstating the pre-2023 disaster relief postponement procedures. Taxpayers who qualify for the June 17, 2024, disaster-related filing and payment postponement for San Diego County (due to the storms and flooding in January 2024) must indicate when they file their California tax return that they qualify for relief by either:

(FTB Tax News Flash (May 17, 2024))
However, many tax professionals, especially those using Lacerte software, have indicated that they were not able to locate where to input the disaster information.

We have received the following information from the FTB and Lacerte regarding how to input this information.

In the Lacerte individual entity product:
  • Go to Screen 4, Electronic Filing;
  • Go to the e-file PDF/Miscellaneous section;
  • Under the Miscellaneous subsection, enter the disaster relief explanation (e.g., San Diego County flood) in the Disaster relief explanation field. 
  •  

Note: The entry above will be passed into the electronic California individual tax return when the state return is electronically filed.

In the Lacerte business, fiduciary, and exempt entity products, the user input is in a similar location as the above. However, the e-file capability for the Disaster relief explanation field for these entities will be added on an upcoming production release currently planned for Thursday, May 30th. 

Tama_TreeHugger
Level 1

What about for ProSeries?

0 Cheers
TitoBonsai
Level 3

This is Lacerte forum.  Please visit the appropriate website for ProSeries discussion.

0 Cheers