Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to code military serviceman, lives in one state, state of record differnt state

LFERLAZZO
Level 1

i have a service man who is stationed in nc, yet state of resident is ny. 

w-2 coded to ny, non resident correct? no TAX to base state

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

That's how it works under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, as far as military compensation is concerned, if NY is his declared state of legal residence.  The serviceman could still have NC state tax liability if he had other personal income, such as rental properties in NC or part-time jobs.

50 U.S. Code § 4001 is the citation for these tax treatments.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
LFERLAZZO
Level 1

i knew that this is not what i asked,.  I need to know how to code Lacerte, so no state return where the client is living but no taxable income will not print, i wll call the help desk tomorrow. I got the state of record state no problem and since customer is non -resident the state will not tax his military pay.

thanks for reference material.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Good to know you know the rules.  Just not evident from your question.

Seems straight forward unless there's more that you haven't told us.  Maybe you are overthinking this?

Especially since the W2 is correctly reporting wages to NY as the SLR, wouldn't you just do the following on Screen 1?

• Resident State as of 12/31: NY
  • Full Year Resident?: Checked
  • Multi-State Return?: Check only if there is NC-source income
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar