Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you report a 1031 Exchange of rental house for land?

sthuttoncpa
Level 2

Client did a 1031 Exchange of a rental house for land.  Is this reported any different than reporting the exchange of a rental house for another rental house?  When I enter the information in Lacerte for the 1031 Exchange, it is showing taking depreciation on the replacement property, which is land.  Is that correct? 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

IF you used the LKE Wizard, you may want to 'undo' any assets created by it and enter the replacement asset of land yourself.  There's also an 'election' in the Wizard to use that creates *carryover* assets which I have never, ever been able to get to work properly.  I develop what I want the F 8824 to show outside of the software & then force the software to report accordingly.

And nope - land shouldn't be depreciated.  You might be able to change the code(s) as all the assets created by the wizard to '99' (as George stated) and get it to work.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@IRonMaN  I'm out of the loop on this deal.  So, is @sthuttoncpa to be left for an Intuit Tax Advisor designated member of this community to respond to his question?  

George4Tacks
Level 15

That sounds correct. Enter a depreciation code of 99.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
IRonMaN
Level 15

@The_AntiTax_Man - it's just those folks and George.  Everybody else in on break. 😁

Slava Ukraini!
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

OK. So then, I'll refrain from commenting on the difference between 1231 and 1250 property.  And depreciation recapture on 1031 exchanges.

abctax55
Level 15

IF you used the LKE Wizard, you may want to 'undo' any assets created by it and enter the replacement asset of land yourself.  There's also an 'election' in the Wizard to use that creates *carryover* assets which I have never, ever been able to get to work properly.  I develop what I want the F 8824 to show outside of the software & then force the software to report accordingly.

And nope - land shouldn't be depreciated.  You might be able to change the code(s) as all the assets created by the wizard to '99' (as George stated) and get it to work.

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

@The_AntiTax_Man  - oh, go ahead 🤣

( Generic Comment )"
Steve E
Level 2

I've too have entered a 1031 transaction several times and it hasn't come out properly. Each time I've deleted the assets created by the wizard and then tried again as I couldn't find a way to "undo" the previously entered transaction. Is there an actual way to "undo" the wizard's madness or is deleting the assets created by it enough?

0 Cheers
Steve E
Level 2

How do you "Undo" the assets created by the Wizard? Do you mean "Delete".

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

There is no "undo". I would make a copy of the return before running any wizard or doing any import. You can then restore that backup and get back to doing things again. Many people do NOT use the Like Kind wizard and do direct input in the dispositions screen. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Steve E
Level 2

Thank you.