Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I enter depreciation recapture on a personal residence qualifying for the full exclusion? Home was previously rented.

golfer6002000
Level 1

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

It depends on whether you're entering the sale on Screen 17.1 or 22.

I'm going to presume 17.1, because 22 should automatically recapture it if it's in "prior depreciation."

In the "Sale of Home" section, it should be the second numeric data entry field in the "Business Use" sub-section: "Depreciation allowed after..."

You may need to tweak some other parts of that section.  Keep hitting F1 on any ambiguous checkbox or data entry field and you should get the info you're looking for.

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

It depends on whether you're entering the sale on Screen 17.1 or 22.

I'm going to presume 17.1, because 22 should automatically recapture it if it's in "prior depreciation."

In the "Sale of Home" section, it should be the second numeric data entry field in the "Business Use" sub-section: "Depreciation allowed after..."

You may need to tweak some other parts of that section.  Keep hitting F1 on any ambiguous checkbox or data entry field and you should get the info you're looking for.

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*
golfer6002000
Level 1

Thank you