Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in tax calculation

scheunemanncpa
Level 4

A client just dropped off a letter they received from the IRS on our 2021 filing.  Filed hoh, wages, student loan interest deduction, and standard deduction.  The IRS changed the tax amount by $276 lower than we had.  There were no overides in the software.  I unlocked the return and it did not change.  I looked up the tax in the tables and the IRS is correct.

WOW!!!!

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

Use Ctrl + L to send the return to Lacerte for them to research. It is like an e-mail to the programmers.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
scheunemanncpa
Level 4

I did that now.  I set up a test file and it did the calculation correctly.  I don't see anything in the file that would change.  No overrides anywhere in the affected file.

0 Cheers
scheunemanncpa
Level 4

I found the issue.  There was recapture of prior year AOC for the difference in tax.  The IRS did not recognize that in their calculation.  There was a statement attached for that calculation.

rbynaker
Level 13

Where did you put that?  I would guess Sch 2 Line 17a?  The problem (well, A problem) with the IRS redesigning the forms EVERY YEAR is that the software has to be reprogrammed for things that aren't new but just have to carry to a new form/line.  Lots of room for errors.