Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I suppress eic on a single person

michele
Level 7

Single has child but living with father of baby  She does not provide over 1/2 of her own support. since his income is greater he gets child and ctc. and she really should not get eic

I went to screen 38 and put  a -1 in earned income and is still giving me eic.  Maybe it knows she needs it (lol)

0 Cheers
15 Comments 15
George4Tacks
Level 15

Are you positive this single wage earner does not qualify?

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/who-qualifies-for-the-ea...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
michele
Level 7

I don't believe she qualifies. She only made $10,000 and  boyfriend made 60,000 I don't believe she meets the support test since all 3 live together. So I would say he is supporting her and she is probably disqualified from eic

thanks

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Screen 38 > Earned Income Credit > next to last entry - enter a 1=print "No" on Form 1040

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

ALSO: If your state also has an EIC, you may have to make an entry to suppress it. The requirements and input to suppress will vary by state. 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@michele wrote:

Single has child but living with father of baby  She does not provide over 1/2 of her own support. since his income is greater he gets child and ctc.

If he is claiming the child, the child should not be entered on your clients return at all.

However, if they AGREE, he does not need to claim the child, and your client may be able to claim the child and all applicable tax benefits.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

I haven't done EIC in a while but I don't remember a Support Test.  Is that new?  I didn't see it on the link that George provided.

0 Cheers
michele
Level 7

he is claiming the child I do not have the child on her return. It has always been my understanding that the one making the most money should claim the child when they live together and he is supporting them.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Do you need a child in order to qualify for EIC?

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If they both try to claim the child, the person with the highest AGI would 'win'.

However, they DO have the option for him to not claim the child, and your client could claim the child.   However, the higher income person would lose Head of Household.

As I mentioned before, if the other person is claiming the child, why are you entering the child AT ALL on your client's tax return?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@rbynaker wrote:

Do you need a child in order to qualify for EIC?

Good point.  It may be a childless EIC.

0 Cheers
michele
Level 7

no

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I believe @michele is not seeing the context of KEEPING UP A HOME. It is in reference to the section above it about Head of Household and Qualifying Widow(er).

It is not a specific requirement of EIC. 

A better reference is Pub 596

0 Cheers
michele
Level 7

No the child is not on her return. We only have a handful of eitc out of the thousands we prepare.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I am saying that a single person does not need to provide more than 1/2 the cost of keeping up the home. You seem to have read that they do. 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Start on page 211 of the PDF https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4012.pdf

0 Cheers