Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 3800 NEEDED before MARCH 1!

jrocke
Level 3

The IRS has had form 3800 out for quite a while, but not Lacerte.  We need form 3800 for our 1040 March 1 filers!  Lacerte says March 7 here:

https://form-status.app.intuit.com/tax-forms-availability/formsavailability?albRedirect=true&product...

That doesn't work for March 1 filers (qualified farmers)!

9 Comments 9
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As a general rule, if you have farmers that rely on the March 1st rule, you shouldn't be using an Intuit tax product.  It is fairly common that Intuit is very slow to release some forms.

Whether you decide to change products or convince your farmers to not use the March 1st rule, that is up to you.

BearTax
Level 2

This not acceptable for what is supposed to be one of the best tax software out there.  Really considering switching.  Have to be able to do tax returns in February not wait until April to do all the tax returns.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"for what is supposed to be one of the best tax software out there"

You must have read that on an Intuit website. 😶

Slava Ukraini!
IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jrocke For Lacerte: For 1040 returns, the needed calculations for Form 3800 have been released. Calculations for Elective Payments and Transfers are still pending product changes. For business returns, Form 3800 is still under development See here for more info.

jrocke
Level 3

@IntuitGabi , 1040 is what I need it for, but I can't e-file until the actual form is released, correct?

gjacpa
Level 2

I may understand that approach for clients that intend to sell or transfer the credit.  But you are totally screwing over the vast majority that will keep and actually use the credit.  We are staring down thousands in penalties if we don't file by March 1.  At least watermark and give us the opportunity to paper file.

jrocke
Level 3

@gjacpa The 2/29 update for Lacerte 1040 finally released form 3800.  There is an incorrect critical error if you do not have as IRS issued ID number, but Lacerte previously said we should be able to e-file even with that critical e-file error.  I will be attempting it later today.  I sure hope it works!

jrocke
Level 3

It does NOT work!  Spent 40 min on the phone with a Lacerte "e-file expert," then had to paper file.  I talked with another preparer who spent an hour and a half on the phone with Lacerte and got the same results.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@jrocke wrote:

It does NOT work!  Spent 40 min on the phone with a Lacerte "e-file expert," then had to paper file.  I talked with another preparer who spent an hour and a half on the phone with Lacerte and got the same results.

Let us know how you like UltraTax next year.  😁