Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion to Lacerte from Ultratax

Eiger
Level 3

Hi,
Tried to convert a new client from Ultratax to Lacerte.
Previous accountants sent some version of 'backup' files, which Lacerte people say are not in the correct format.
Previous accountants are no longer cooperating and refusing to send new/'correct' backup files!
Can anyone suggest a resource we can use who can take hard copy of client's tax return and manually set it up in Laceret?
Thank you

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

This is where you learn the program. Get the Lacerte version to match the copy you have. Post questions for the rough spots that you can not get to match, but take one topic at a time OR Contact Support https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/taxation/contact-lacerte-help/L4c6BR3CZ_US_...

When you get it just right go to Screen 3 (for the Individual) and scroll down to just above Organizer Miscellaneous and REMOVE the check mark for Converted client (proforma use only). That will allow for a cleaner proforma to the next year.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
sjrcpa
Level 15

Can anyone suggest a resource we can use who can take hard copy of client's tax return and manually set it up in Laceret?

Staff accountant or admin staff. Somone has to do the data entry.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15
Eiger
Level 3

I would have, except I could not find my original enquiry from a few weeks ago!

0 Cheers
Eiger
Level 3

admin or staff do not have the required level of Lacerte expertise to know which screens to go to to enter all prior year carryovers, carryforwards, basis limitations, etc. searching for a resource with advanced tax knowledge and a strong command of Lacerte software.

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

I mean, I'd be willing to do it for you, but it wouldn't be cheap. The most efficient way to get the carryforwards right is to recreate the prior year return in the prior year Lacerte, then proforma. It's a tedious, time-consuming process.

Eiger
Level 3

Thank you for your response. How expensive are we talking about?! 🙂

Is it not possible to set up in 2022 with basic client data, and then use prior year return to make sure carryovers are input in the 'proper' fields and screens? If so, I can set it up and enter as much as I can and know how to, and then you can give it a once over. Would that be an option?

This is an individual return for a retired California resident. Mostly investment income and retirement benefits. Minor interest in a NY partnership, so there is a simple NY state return as well and then need to enter the 2021 end of year basis for that partnership.

Thank you!

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Ask client for their copy.

0 Cheers
Eiger
Level 3

Huh? We already have the hard copy! I think you misunderstood my question.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

This is where you learn the program. Get the Lacerte version to match the copy you have. Post questions for the rough spots that you can not get to match, but take one topic at a time OR Contact Support https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/taxation/contact-lacerte-help/L4c6BR3CZ_US_...

When you get it just right go to Screen 3 (for the Individual) and scroll down to just above Organizer Miscellaneous and REMOVE the check mark for Converted client (proforma use only). That will allow for a cleaner proforma to the next year.

abctax55
Level 15

George, I think the OP knows  how to do it, s/he wants to hire one of us to do rather than have staff do it. You're retired, are you interested ? 😉 I doubt Phoebe is available, or affordable.

I actually enjoy it, but not in the heat of filing season.

@Eiger - I suggest having staff do as much as possible then you could step in to fine tune. It is a great way for staff to learn the software & taxes.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
George4Tacks
Level 15

I would do it, but the wildlife in my yard and the new plants really need me right now. Being retired (SORTA!) carries a lot of burdens and work is not the greatest of them.

Eiger
Level 3

Understood!

0 Cheers