Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I e-file a non-resident, Washington District of Columbia form D-40 after the Form 1040 has already been filed?

cmbtax
Level 3
In April 2024, I e-filed a client's 1040 and California resident return.  After filing, client presented a small W-2 from DC that now requires a DC return to be filed to receive her refund.  When using the Lacerte e-file wizard, it does not give me the option to e-file DC.  Yes, on the client screen, I have checked the box to e-file DC.  Lacerte did generate the D-40E Declaration for Electronic Filing Form, that has been signed.  Thank you in advance for your help.
0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

1. There's no such thing as a nonresident D-40.

2. There is provision for a part year D-40.

3. If DC tax was withheld in error, there is a short form to file for a refund. D-40B. It cannot be efiled.

Ex-AllStar
cmbtax
Level 3

Thank you so much for your response.  Taxpayer lived in DC while working as a paid Intern, for 77 days in 2023.  Her tax liability was only $200 and she had $402 withheld.  So, it appears that form D40 is required to be filed?  

sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes. Part Year D-40.

Ex-AllStar