Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California Estimated Payments for 540NR return

Referee
Level 1

Ohio taxpayer received a California K-1 showing $1,932 estimated tax payment was made by the partnership.  K-1 says to report on line 82 of tax return and write "Group Return Payment" and the partnership's FEIN to the left of the amount on line 82.  I see how to report the amount on line 82, but how do I include the Group return payment and the FEIN to the left of line 82?

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

If the partnership/S Corp filed a CA composite/group return, why are you having client file a 540NR?

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Referee
Level 1

Thank you for your response.

Taxpayer was NOT part of a California composite return.  The cover letter from the partnership clearly shows the tax remitted was withholding tax and not composite tax paid.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Then this "K-1 says to report on line 82 of tax return and write "Group Return Payment" and the partnership's FEIN to the left of the amount on line 82." does not seem right.

You should have a 592-B(?) from the partnership.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Referee
Level 1

Yes, I have a 592-B showing $1,715 was withheld.  That amount goes on line 83 of the return.  In addition the partnership (a national law firm that operates in a majority of states) withheld an additional $1,932 and reported it on the K-1 as a footnote saying "additional amount of tax withheld on your behalf: To ensure proper credit for the estimated tax payments on your individual return, you should write "Group return payment" and the FEIN to the left of the amount on line 82 of your individual 540NR return".  The additional tax withheld was $1,932.  I was able to report the amount on line 82, but was not able to include the reference to group return payment and the partnership's EIN.  I filed the return.  California sent my client a letter saying he owes tax because they don't recognize the $1,932 that I reported on line 82.  So how does Lacerte say to include reference to the group return payment so California can recognize the payment? 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I have no idea. I think the partnership did it wrong.

For your CA issue, I would send them the K-1 and an explanation.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers