Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accrued Interest Paid

Kelly107
Level 1

Accrued Interest Paid

My client purchased a US Treasury and the interest from it was $40K in 2022, and he also has an accrued interest paid in $26K.  He did not claim the accrued interest paid of $26K in 2022.  Can he claim the $26K accrued interest paid in 2023 while he received another 50K of interest from the same bond?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

We need more information. What US Treasury? 

This may help. https://www.treasurydirect.gov/savings-bonds/tax-information-ee-i-bonds/#id-when-do-i-get-the-intere...

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

What does "accrued interest paid" mean?  Is it accrued interest (not paid)?

The $40,000 in 2022.  Was that accrued (not paid)?  Was it paid?  Was it reported on their tax return?

The $26,000.  Was that accrued from before 2022 and not paid yet?  Was it actually paid in 2022?  Or actually paid in some other year (or is it still accruing)?  Was it ever reported on a tax return?

sjrcpa
Level 15

Accrued interest paid on the purchase of a bond reduces the interest received on that bond. 

Bonds generally pay interest every 6 months. When you buy a bond you pay for the interest accrued from the last payment date. You receive the full 6 months' worth of interest on the next payment date. On a net basis you receive interest for the period of time you owned the bond.

Did client receive interest on that bond in 2022? If yes, the accrued interest paid reduces 2022 interest income. If no, it reduces 2023 interest income.

You have to match the accrued interest paid on each bond to the interest received on each bond. $22K is a lot. It may be for more than one bond.

Ex-AllStar