Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30% foreign tax

Form 1040-NR

The proper tax rate is 30%

How do tell LC to use a 30% rate?

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

What kind of income?

Where on the 1040NR is it reported?

Also see https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/tax-talk/discussion/8805-withheld-37-for-non-resident/00/269...

Ex-AllStar

Thank you.

Rental income, taxed at 30%

No other sources of income.

I found out how to get the 30% tax to calculate and appear on Line 23a.  But the return is including the ordinary tax in error. This tax needs to be eliminated.

0 Cheers

The link didn't address my issue but thank you anyways.

But I did learn of a webinar mentioned by you that will be useful.

The IRS webinar Taxation of Nonresident Alien Individuals takes place on Thursday, Aug. 17 at 2 p.m. ET. Participants will be eligible to earn up to 2 continuing education credits for this webinar. For more information about the webinar and to register, visit the Webinars for Tax Practitioners webpage.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Consider electing to treat the rental as effectively connected. Section 871(d). Maybe they'll cover this in the IRS presentation.

Ex-AllStar

I considered it. Effectively connected does not apply.  Thank you.  I consulted with someone knowledgeable who told me that the 30% rate applies but the ordinary rate does not.  The input to make this happen is difficult to locate.

puravidapto
Level 7

30% rate is schedule NEC. Just like capital gains for nonresident do not use Schedule D, I doubt that rental income will use Schedule E if you do not make the effectively connected election. May I ask what is the reason that it does not apply? Thanks. 

--
Click this link to vote. Like many good things in life, we have to fight for them.
0 Cheers