Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inherited ROTH

biker
Level 1

Client's brother Jim died 2/14/2023 at age 82.  No distribution from his ROTH account made prior to death.

Beneficiary is brother Richard age 79.

What is distribution rule for Richard based on above?

Can money stay in Richard's inherited ROTH account for 10 years or until 2/14/2033? or is there a yearly RMD requirement for Richard?  if yearly RMD is required, what year would it start.

Thanks

TFC13

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
abctax55
Level 15

You should refresh your CPE regarding the RMD rules and Roth IRAs

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
rbynaker
Level 13

If it's any consolation, I can't keep up with it either (even with CPE).  I have to look it up every time.  I've thought of making a flow chart but then there are certain situations where nobody is quite sure what the rules are.  The IRS seems to think that the 10-year rule added to old rules, other professionals think it was Congress' intent that the 10-year rule apply instead of the old rules.

Vanguard has a tool here that you might try:

https://inherited-rmd-calculator.web.vanguard.com/

If you have TheTaxBook or QuickFinder they might be helpful.  Otherwise you're left trying to sift through Pub 590B:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590b.pdf

Rick

abctax55
Level 15

Rick... check your email 😉

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Isn't it a bit late for internet homework? Seems like a word problem on a worksheet.

And for reference, the regulations changed, and then the IRS figures out how to make it happen. Those are the rules in constant flux right now. Retirement account issues are best learned by going directly to IRS resources. Give it about 5 years to settle down, if Congress stops making changes, to let the IRS figure out what meets their new requirements.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers