DTNY07's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DTNY07's Posts

I didn't have any K-2s to prepare until a week ago.  Two LLC returns and one S corp return (All from the same client, he has 4 entities with me and his personal.)   What a pain this is.  i totally bu... See more...
I didn't have any K-2s to prepare until a week ago.  Two LLC returns and one S corp return (All from the same client, he has 4 entities with me and his personal.)   What a pain this is.  i totally butchered the first  LLC one.  That was my fault.  The second one was fine, but that's because the entity only received one K-1 that had K-3 information.  Now, the third one has more than a few K-1s received with K-3s.  Ugh 
I just came across this for one of my California business clients.  I am a NY CPA, so I don't have a lot of them.  Thanks for posting this info.  They had the small business relief grant.  
I had already prepared 90% of the tax return before i remembered they had that last year.  
Just had my first client with this.  It's annoying to have to manually input these items 
Thanks for the info.  I figured that was the case, but doesn't make sense to me why stock can't just be on the parents return as well.  Which is why i asked 
I have a client with 4 children (all under age 12).  Each of the 4 kids have investments accounts, where dividends are more than $2,200.  Stock gains of over $1,000, but less than $2,200 I know on F... See more...
I have a client with 4 children (all under age 12).  Each of the 4 kids have investments accounts, where dividends are more than $2,200.  Stock gains of over $1,000, but less than $2,200 I know on Form 8814 (for the parents to claim the income), it can only be interest or dividends, but not stock sales.    My question is that since the stock sales are less than $2,200, is it that the parents can just claim the dividends for each of the 4 kids through Form 8814.  Because the stock sales are below $2,200, then it wouldn't be reported.  Or is it since there are stock sales (regardless of the loss or profit), can't use Form 8814 under any circumstance.  Would have to then file tax returns for each of the 4 children with Form 8615 The parents tax rate is definitely higher but they would rather just report it on their tax return if possible In the 21 years I have been doing this, have never had any kiddie tax return.  Which is why I am asking this. Thanks for any help      
If i have all the data and the return is due 4/18, i would do it before then.  But, if i can push it off to 6/15, that gives me more time to get to the ones due 4/18
I have a client that got married during 2021 (she has been a client for 20 years as a single filer). Her husband had lived overseas the last two years.  Both are US citizens.  If they file jointly, i... See more...
I have a client that got married during 2021 (she has been a client for 20 years as a single filer). Her husband had lived overseas the last two years.  Both are US citizens.  If they file jointly, is the deadline 6/15 or 4/18?  While she did stay overseas for part of 2021, she was a US resident the entire year  
I spoke to the prior CPA.  He said there should have been an agreement.  But the prior owners didn't want one.  That right there = ugh.  But they aren't my clients, so can't do anything about that.  ... See more...
I spoke to the prior CPA.  He said there should have been an agreement.  But the prior owners didn't want one.  That right there = ugh.  But they aren't my clients, so can't do anything about that.  The .05% was left for each of the two outgoing partners, because the 2nd new partner wasn't coming aboard as a partner until 1/1/21.  The 1099-NEC that was mentioned was because they did $3,000 of service work for the LLC during 2021.  Had nothing to do with them being prior owners.  The new owners did mention that they did some work after I had started this thread, so that part makes sense.  No guaranteed  payments to the old partners (which you had already mentioned). He also mentioned it was all goodwill, nothing in assets bought.   So there is nothing for me to issue to the outgoing partners other than the 1099-NEC for the work done.  I know some of this (especially no sale agreement) shouldn't have been done this way.  Thanks for your help with this. I will mark it solved now,
I accidentally e-filed a NYS Partnership full return rather than just the NYS fling fee form. To my surprise, the return was accepted even though there are 20 errors on it. How could it have possibl... See more...
I accidentally e-filed a NYS Partnership full return rather than just the NYS fling fee form. To my surprise, the return was accepted even though there are 20 errors on it. How could it have possibly been accepted? I've been using Pro Series since 2006. Usually if there is one error, it isn't accepted.  I have never had this happen before I did e-file the NYS filing fee separately.  But, now does that mean I have to file an original federal return, but an amended NYS return.  Since e-file already accepted the NYS return.   I don't think mailing the NYS return in would make sense, since NYS would already think a return was e-filed    
It is not for a one percent ownership.  It was for 100%.  The transfer was late in 2020. 1st payment wasn't until 2021.  I thought I had written that somewhere  previously.  But I hadn't.   I also as... See more...
It is not for a one percent ownership.  It was for 100%.  The transfer was late in 2020. 1st payment wasn't until 2021.  I thought I had written that somewhere  previously.  But I hadn't.   I also asked if they still owe more payments during 2022.    
After I looked into it further, there are net depreciable assets on the balance sheet of over $100,000.  So this can't all be goodwill.  one of the current partners reached out to the prior CPA and h... See more...
After I looked into it further, there are net depreciable assets on the balance sheet of over $100,000.  So this can't all be goodwill.  one of the current partners reached out to the prior CPA and he said it was ok to contact him.  I just sent an email.   Thanks for your prior help.  
They don't have a sale agreement  (which surprised me).  They said they paid for the client base/ goodwill only, no physical assets. I guess these weren't   Section 736 A payments as they aren't gua... See more...
They don't have a sale agreement  (which surprised me).  They said they paid for the client base/ goodwill only, no physical assets. I guess these weren't   Section 736 A payments as they aren't guaranteed payments.  Since the sale of the partnership interest was during 2020, there can't be guaranteed payments in 2021 to those partners as they were gone by the end of 2020.   So, it is Section 736 B with goodwill being the asset.  Which means it is a capital gain/loss between those payments and their basis.  I don't know what those partners recorded in 2020.  Nor, am i doing their personal return for 2021.  But, does anything get issued to them in this case.  Or should they just know what to have filed based on the 2020 K-1 that was issued to them
A sense of humor I see.  I figure they will send me what I need tomorrow (as I replied to them Friday evening and they would be closed on the weekend).  I normally am closed Sunday, but am in today, ... See more...
A sense of humor I see.  I figure they will send me what I need tomorrow (as I replied to them Friday evening and they would be closed on the weekend).  I normally am closed Sunday, but am in today, as I had to take off Monday instead. So hopefully when i come in Tuesday, I will have the sale document.
Estimates = I had the two "new" partners pay personal income tax on their estimated share of the profits/ guaranteed payments on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters.  They didn't need any in the 1st quarte... See more...
Estimates = I had the two "new" partners pay personal income tax on their estimated share of the profits/ guaranteed payments on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters.  They didn't need any in the 1st quarter.  So the first estimates I did were for 6/15.  This is based in NYC, so there were also the UBT estimates. Understood about the guaranteed payments.  The prior CPA = you are right, maybe he/she didn't have all the information and that is why the K-1s weren't marked as final and they still had an ending percentage Yes, I do realize there may be something for me to report on the partnership return.  Once they send me the sale agreement, I should be able to figure that out.   The point you made about the taxpayer maybe having had to receive something during 2020 = that crossed my mind when you answered my last response.  Figured the same thing, the sale agreement will hopefully have that information.  I mistakenly thought the guaranteed payments in 2020 were towards that.  But as you already pointed out, no guaranteed payments to them at the point they were no longer owners I really appreciate you answering all of this.  I don't ask many questions on here. But this is one time where one person has really gone above and beyond on here for me.  I do come on here sometimes to see if i can answer questions.  I need to do that more often
I didn't think there would be a 1099 issued (for the reason you mentioned), so that I agree with.  I don't deal with the former partners, but they had posed that question to the two new partners.  Th... See more...
I didn't think there would be a 1099 issued (for the reason you mentioned), so that I agree with.  I don't deal with the former partners, but they had posed that question to the two new partners.  The K-1 = I thought depending on how the wording of the sale agreement was, they could still have it as guaranteed payments.  Just no other activity. That and the prior CPA didn't mark their K-1s as final (which confused me).  But, reading your response, your reasoning is correct and makes sense to me now.      I was off base with my reasoning for asking it.  Thanks for your help.   The date of sale was definitely 2020.  The new partner that was already a client of mine told me about it before it was happening.  I should have asked for the sale agreement when i did the first quarterly estimates during June 2021.   So I guess then it is up to the previous partners to report everything correctly on their 2021 personal returns.  I don't know what they did in 2020, nor should I care as I am not their CPA.  Part of the reason for my original question was did I need to issue anything in 2021 from the LLC to the 2 previous partners.      
I would love to give you 5 cheers for this answer.  I never would have thought of that, but yes, the current two partners weren't partners when this sale/transfer took place.  So, the first paragraph... See more...
I would love to give you 5 cheers for this answer.  I never would have thought of that, but yes, the current two partners weren't partners when this sale/transfer took place.  So, the first paragraph that you wrote makes sense to me now. I still haven't received the sale documents.  I assume they will send it on Monday as they are usually quick to respond during their normal business hours.   There aren't any receivables listed on the 2020 Partnership return I have no idea how the two prior partners recorded the sale during 2020 on their personal return.  As they aren't clients of mine.  But, does this mean that that they don't receive K-1s or a 1099 for 2021?   I don't know yet how it is listed in the sale agreement.  But the old partners were paid $60,960.  They were thinking they were receiving 1099s, which is why i made my original post yesterday     
I realize now that I need more information.  I asked the client for a copy of the sale agreement and the partnership agreement.  As you can see, I haven't dealt with any sales of partnership interest... See more...
I realize now that I need more information.  I asked the client for a copy of the sale agreement and the partnership agreement.  As you can see, I haven't dealt with any sales of partnership interests before as I am clueless.  While I do have partnership returns, most of the time when they are done, it is the entire business ceasing operations (and not a sale, just going out of business).
I have a new LLC client (multi member and it is taxed as a partnership).  Two partners.  In 2020,  they had bought  LLC that they both previously worked for.  It is an architecture firm.   One of tho... See more...
I have a new LLC client (multi member and it is taxed as a partnership).  Two partners.  In 2020,  they had bought  LLC that they both previously worked for.  It is an architecture firm.   One of those two partners was an individual client of mine for about 15 years Anyway, in 2020, it was just one of these 2 partners as 99% owner and the two partners that were bought out as .05% owners.   Even though I did  quarterly estimates for 2021, I had no idea that they were still paying out to the two previous owners of the LLC from when they bought it. The prior .05% partners did not have their 2020 K-1s marked as final.  Didnt realize that until today.  Their capital accounts were zero, but it still had an ending capital percentage of .05% at the end of 2020.   So, my questions are:   How does the $60,960 in payments to the prior partners get treated.  In 2020 it was guaranteed payments.  Which made sense as they were still partners.  But now in 2021 they wouldn't be.  Unless that is why the 2020 K-1 wasn't marked as final and I am still supposed to issue a K-1 with the $60,960 as guaranteed payments, but no other activity on the K-1.   Or do I issue a 1099 to that partner?  I don't think it would be a 1099-NEC.   Maybe Box 3 on a 1099-MISC? I asked them now for a copy of the sale.  So I can see if it has a breakdown of what they paid for.  Mainly to see if part or all of these are Section 736 (b) payments.  I assume they paid something for the assets and something for the clients.   So it may be a combination of Section 736 (a) and Section 736 (b).  There is nothing on the 2020 K-1s to the outgoing partners that make it look like there was a sale.  Nothing on Box 9c or Box 10 of the K-1 I feel like a dope for not realizing they were still paying the old partner in 2021.  But, when i did the estimates, I just had a P+L Total, not a P+L detail where  I would have then probably noticed a category for this. Any help on this = I greatly appreciate it