taxesbydot's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

taxesbydot's Posts

Client's husband died almost 20 years ago. In 2020 she received a check from the state for unclaimed funds. There is no paperwork available and the only notation is for dividends and stock sale. He w... See more...
Client's husband died almost 20 years ago. In 2020 she received a check from the state for unclaimed funds. There is no paperwork available and the only notation is for dividends and stock sale. He was a pilot for one of the major airlines so I am thinking it must have been company shares but the wife has no idea when or how purchased or how many shares. Any guidance as to how to come up with basis? The amount is about $20000.
Thank you. Just read that little detail.
As long is he is looking for work, I thought he qualified. He drew unemployment all year.
Spouse has flexed dependent care. She worked all year. He was unemployed all year so no income. He did look for work. How to get the form to calculate? Is there a smart worksheet that I am missing?
I cannot find anything other than it may affect the credit. If I leave it as is, it does create an additional $4 credit (but this is due to rounding). I think I would adjust for that so the credit do... See more...
I cannot find anything other than it may affect the credit. If I leave it as is, it does create an additional $4 credit (but this is due to rounding). I think I would adjust for that so the credit does not increase.
No, no other coverage.
Client moved from one state to another mid year. He did notify the marketplace but they continued coverage and the monthly advance payment of the premium tax credit. For the months he was no longer i... See more...
Client moved from one state to another mid year. He did notify the marketplace but they continued coverage and the monthly advance payment of the premium tax credit. For the months he was no longer in OR do I simply change the SLCSP to 0? This will result in his having to repay part of the advance premium tax credit.
Sorry I just reread that and it isn't clear. My clients got their own rebates. Not for the children.
My clients adopted their two grandchildren in 2020 and they do qualify as dependents. The grandparents assume their daughter or the children's fathers got the recovery rebate but don't really know. S... See more...
My clients adopted their two grandchildren in 2020 and they do qualify as dependents. The grandparents assume their daughter or the children's fathers got the recovery rebate but don't really know. She and they are not available to find out the answer. How do I fill out the recovery rebate worksheet? Both adults (my clients) got both rebates..
Yes it was. Thank you very much.
Unfortunately, I am amending the return because he didn't tell me about the contribution in the first place. Would she be eligible up until date of death?
New client lost his wife to cancer in April 2019. They contributed $8000 to their HSA at the beginning of the year.  Would there be an excess contribution that needs to be added back as income? Anot... See more...
New client lost his wife to cancer in April 2019. They contributed $8000 to their HSA at the beginning of the year.  Would there be an excess contribution that needs to be added back as income? Another complication is that he turned 65 in 2019. I am waiting to hear if he started medicare and had HDHP.
Excellent suggestion. Thank you.
Is there a way to have MN calculate the underpayment penalty? Client made only 4th qtr estimate and does owe the penalty but I cannot e-file the MN return with a penalty using ProSeries.
Thank you. I was afraid of that.
I have the MFS and spouse itemizes box checked on the federal worksheet. Is there a similar box on the MN worksheet that I can't find?