hcliston's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hcliston's Posts

Thanks, Bob. That's great information.  (I did not prepare the 2018 returns for these people. I did enter their 2018 data, to produce the two-year comparison, but I guess that wasn't enough to affec... See more...
Thanks, Bob. That's great information.  (I did not prepare the 2018 returns for these people. I did enter their 2018 data, to produce the two-year comparison, but I guess that wasn't enough to affect the penalty calculation.) I love your tip about low penalties too. You earned yourself a great day today! Heather  
Thank you, Bob. That's a good start. In both cases, the amounts the clients paid in during 2019 was more than their total tax liability for 2018.  So they qualify for that exception to the penalty. ... See more...
Thank you, Bob. That's a good start. In both cases, the amounts the clients paid in during 2019 was more than their total tax liability for 2018.  So they qualify for that exception to the penalty. But why did Intuit ProSeries Basic calculate a penalty for them?  In future years, do I have to manually recalculate the penalty?  
Hi -- Two of my clients have recently told me that the IRS sent them refund checks in the exact amount of their underpayment penalty for 2019. In both cases, the clients had significantly underpaid ... See more...
Hi -- Two of my clients have recently told me that the IRS sent them refund checks in the exact amount of their underpayment penalty for 2019. In both cases, the clients had significantly underpaid their taxes throughout the year, so I was not surprised that ProSeries calculated penalties for them.  This was for the 2019 tax year, and we filed on time, in early 2020. In both cases, the clients had paid in around 65% of what they owed for 2019, and the software calculated penalties of a few hundred dollars (around 2.5%).  That all seemed reasonable to me. So why is the IRS giving it back to them?  Was there a general amnesty for 2019 on underpayment penalties that I don't know about? Thank you! Heather
Thank you, Lisa!
Thank you, Larry! That's helpful.
Client had a lot of stock transactions, so I summarized them and I'm attaching PDFs to the federal return, as back-up to Form 8949. Do I need to attach all the same investment statements to her Stat... See more...
Client had a lot of stock transactions, so I summarized them and I'm attaching PDFs to the federal return, as back-up to Form 8949. Do I need to attach all the same investment statements to her State of California return also? Thank you!
Thanks, Champ!  That did it. -- Heather
Hi -- In normal years, I often file a return on, say March 3, but if the client owes money, we set the direct debit date to April 10, to make sure they pay before the deadline, but not right away. R... See more...
Hi -- In normal years, I often file a return on, say March 3, but if the client owes money, we set the direct debit date to April 10, to make sure they pay before the deadline, but not right away. Right now, though (Sunday, 4/19), I'm trying to set a debit date in May or June (well in advance of the new July 15 deadline) but ProSeries Basic is showing it as an error unless I put today's date. Does that make sense? What would happen if I do it anyway, and just ignore the Error message? Thank you!    
Thank you, Jim!  I knew I was probably just missing one button . . . but I couldn't find it.  You saved me!  Happy April 15.  -- Heather
My client sold a residential real estate (Schedule E) property.  I entered all the information about the sale in the Asset Entry Worksheet. It calculated a loss on the sale of about $19,000. Then i... See more...
My client sold a residential real estate (Schedule E) property.  I entered all the information about the sale in the Asset Entry Worksheet. It calculated a loss on the sale of about $19,000. Then it says "Part of Form 4797 to which asset gain (loss) carries: PART I"  On 4797, Part I, all the numbers look right UNTIL line 2g, which shows up as $0.  It should not be 0; it should be (19,000).  What's triggering this?  I've searched all over for a box I may have checked wrong but I can't find anything. This is not a converted property or a former primary residence or anything. It's just a rental property, bought in 2018 and sold about 14 months later.  I'm stuck. Thank you!!
Thanks, Happy.
Thank you for this. It's helpful. Now, could someone tell me WHERE I enter summary data from a 1099-B with many transactions? Is that on the "Capital Gain (Loss) Transaction Worksheet"? Or Schedul... See more...
Thank you for this. It's helpful. Now, could someone tell me WHERE I enter summary data from a 1099-B with many transactions? Is that on the "Capital Gain (Loss) Transaction Worksheet"? Or Schedule D? Is there a special worksheet for summaries?  Thank you!    
I have a client with many financial institutions and hundreds of stock trades throughout the year.   In ProSeries Basic, is there any way to import that data directly into the program, so I don't ha... See more...
I have a client with many financial institutions and hundreds of stock trades throughout the year.   In ProSeries Basic, is there any way to import that data directly into the program, so I don't have to do all the typing from her 1099-Bs and other forms?
Thank you!
Hi -- My client would like to file her return electronically, but she owes money to both the IRS and the State of California, and she does not want them to withdraw the funds from her bank account. ... See more...
Hi -- My client would like to file her return electronically, but she owes money to both the IRS and the State of California, and she does not want them to withdraw the funds from her bank account.  Can she file electronically but pay by check?  If so, how? Thank you!
Thank you for answering, but no. I don't think so.  I can't find any place to enter prior year info.  If anyone knows how to do it, please chime in.  Thank you!