peterhawaii's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

peterhawaii's Posts

I am trying to make the election because I have a De Minimis Safe Harbor Election to make.
Earlier in 2020 I did this and for that return it is part of the return. Now I am doing another return and I go to forms and can not find elections.
I can not believe the programmers are limiting the checklist to only the Federal tax return.   I think they should look at the purpose of the check list and one of these purposes should be to help th... See more...
I can not believe the programmers are limiting the checklist to only the Federal tax return.   I think they should look at the purpose of the check list and one of these purposes should be to help the tax preparer work with the customer and save the customer dollars. Obviously not putting in items which would save the client is making my job very difficult. And I think ProSeries /  Intuit should help me keep customers and save customers dollars, and putting these work related expenses on the check list would help me to help my customers. I firmly believe many tax preparers are omitting to take these business deductions which almost always save dollars because they find it easier to not take the deductions.  The state standard deduction is small and my experience is these deductions always saves dollars on the state return. Perhaps the programmers think it is a waste of effort to deduct job expenses on the state return, and they do not want paid preparers to do the work to save their customers dollars. Please look at the purpose of the check list, and if it is to help tax preparers like myself the checklist needs to include work related deductions to save dollars on the state tax return
Yes Lisa I do have the box checked for Form 1040 SR at the start of the income information worksheet. The program knows I am using Form 1040 SR but the program just does not make the form available.... See more...
Yes Lisa I do have the box checked for Form 1040 SR at the start of the income information worksheet. The program knows I am using Form 1040 SR but the program just does not make the form available. Note my computer is not notifying me of any responses.
The check list is omitting to tell customers to bring in many items.  I have numerous plumbers, mechanics, carpenters, working people etc. who have lots of business expenses.  This last customers che... See more...
The check list is omitting to tell customers to bring in many items.  I have numerous plumbers, mechanics, carpenters, working people etc. who have lots of business expenses.  This last customers check list did not include ID verification, union dues, Dues, Initiation, safety boots, uniform cleaning,  gifts limited to $25, small tools, educational expenses, magazines and subscriptions, auto deductions. The area most missed were the W-2 work expenses.  These are not deducted on the Federal but they are deducted on the state.  If not listed on the check list, the customer now thinks he can not deduct these items and there is no need for me to prepare his return.  More important he does not bring in this info. In the past I would change one customers check list and I was so stupid this changed all check lists.  This year I filled in he clients check list add ons and then the form asked if I wanted to change all check list.  I said no, so I am no going to have the problem of any additions I make going to all customers. If you think Pro Series programmers should include work related items on the check list, please contact Pro Series. At the beginning of the year I sent all customers the check list (without looking at what was in the check list), and now if they came in it was very difficult to get accurate work deductions
I have many seniors and am using form 1040 SR.  While doing the return Pro Series has decided to not make this form available to the tax preparer as it is not listed as form in use and unavailable in... See more...
I have many seniors and am using form 1040 SR.  While doing the return Pro Series has decided to not make this form available to the tax preparer as it is not listed as form in use and unavailable in Forms. The expert I talked to after 1 hour said this is the way it is and live with it. Earlier in the year the Form was available to look at, and it appears now the programmers do not want the tax preparer to see what is going to be filed.  If you think you need to have ProSeries provide for you to have access to Form 1040 SR you should contact them.
Unable to print.
My power of attorney for one client is not being accepted by the IRS collections agent and then I can not see communications he is sending out. The power of attorney has code h and my Pin #.  I meet... See more...
My power of attorney for one client is not being accepted by the IRS collections agent and then I can not see communications he is sending out. The power of attorney has code h and my Pin #.  I meet all 4 tests (Instructions on Form 2848 listed on the Form in Part II just above my signature) in code h including having a valid PTIN and fulfilled the annual filing season program with the IRS showing a record of completion of the required courses.  In the box next to code h is my PTIN number. Agent has never told me he refused to accept power of attorney, but he is not following instructions on the power of attorney. For another client Agent 1003371529 (A collection Agent) says her supervisor has a rule for all IRS agents.  Never accept any power of attorneys with code h.  I have stuff I need to check and in the past two weeks, tried 3 times, each time 90 minutes lapse before I talk to an agent and then each time the agent will not help me to find out about the installment agreement, or the data for amending the 2014 and 2015 tax return, which changed from the original because the IRS added a Form 1099R.  There is a rule that if the taxpayer paid a return within the last two years, the you can amend and get the refund.  In this case it is impossible to find out when the client made payments on the installment agreement for the 2014 return. Where do we go so that the IRS  andcollection agents accept code h, Unenrolled Return Preparers power of attorneys?  I know of nothing that can be done if their policy is to never accept code h designation for power of attorneys. This should affect lots of preparers using ProSeries and who can these unenrolled tax preparers contact to fix this horrible situation.
It appears you can not use simplified method to calculate non taxable portion of pension from Office of Personnel management code 7 form 1099 R.  The program on the date started line says must be lat... See more...
It appears you can not use simplified method to calculate non taxable portion of pension from Office of Personnel management code 7 form 1099 R.  The program on the date started line says must be later than 7/1/86. Can I use simplified version or some other worksheet to calculate non taxable portion form 05 year old spouse and 96 year old taxpayer. Husband born 10//2/22 Has Office of Personnel Management Form 1099R Code 7 Box 1  34920 gross distributin Box 3 1820.88 employee conrtributions Box 9b Total Employee Contributions Started receiving pension when 50, 10/2/72 Wife has Office of Personnel Management Form 1099R Code 7 Wife born 11/19/23 Box 1 26892 gross distributions Box 3 1820.88 Employee Contributions Box 9 b 13451 Total Employee Conributions Starts receiving pension when 50,   11/19/73 Again, I am unable to figure out hw to use simplified version at the bottom of the Form 1099-R as the starting date is prior to the program saying must be later than 7/1/86. Maybe the calculated portion still left to use for non taxable pensions is all used up, so the taxpayers can no longer use the non taxable adjustment.
AHA  There is a capital Gains (Losses) Detail entry worksheet..  When filled out in detail there is a line for Accrued Market Discount box 1F.  When this is filled in completely Form  8949 columns F a... See more...
AHA  There is a capital Gains (Losses) Detail entry worksheet..  When filled out in detail there is a line for Accrued Market Discount box 1F.  When this is filled in completely Form  8949 columns F and G is filled correctly and now all is OK>
I think  you give an excellent answer.  Except when I try to enter the code and an amount  the computer wants an  over ride.  What code do I enter in box F..    Both boxes f and g require an over ride... See more...
I think  you give an excellent answer.  Except when I try to enter the code and an amount  the computer wants an  over ride.  What code do I enter in box F..    Both boxes f and g require an over ride.  Where do I make the original entry so an over ride is not required.
This is a Honolulu City and County Bond non taxable to Hawaii.  I think I do not make any adjustments for Hawaii.
I do no understand what is in community about accrued market discount. On Form 1099 B:    Sales, Basis and Accrued market discount given. I read with accrued market discount you report accrued mark... See more...
I do no understand what is in community about accrued market discount. On Form 1099 B:    Sales, Basis and Accrued market discount given. I read with accrued market discount you report accrued market discount as interest income and reduce capital gain.  In the cost basis section I take the basis reported and add the accrued market discount. If I do this, then I am not double reporting the accrued market discount. Am I correct in what I doing.
The IRS instructions and internet instructions says for 2018 when parents report dividend income, the tax rates will be the estate tax rates.  These rates are ).  How do we let ProSeries professional... See more...
The IRS instructions and internet instructions says for 2018 when parents report dividend income, the tax rates will be the estate tax rates.  These rates are ).  How do we let ProSeries professional know the rules, and follow the rules.