ERIC J 's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERIC J 's Posts

Because I can justify why the activity related to the SE income doesn't rise to the level of a trade or business.  There is no requirement that SE income must be reported on a Sch C.  I avoid includi... See more...
Because I can justify why the activity related to the SE income doesn't rise to the level of a trade or business.  There is no requirement that SE income must be reported on a Sch C.  I avoid including Sch C if possible.  thanks
There are legitimate reasons not to report SE income on a Sch C.  But thanks for the strong suggestion.
Not being reported on Sch C.  Why isn't system calculating SE tax?  Do I need to tag it as subject to SE income somehow/where?  thanks!  eric j
No Schedule C, but taxpayer has SE income reported on 1099-Misc that is being reported on Other Income line.  Pulling my hair out.  Where to input the health insurance premiums paid to generate an Ad... See more...
No Schedule C, but taxpayer has SE income reported on 1099-Misc that is being reported on Other Income line.  Pulling my hair out.  Where to input the health insurance premiums paid to generate an Adjustment for AGI?  Thanks, Eric J
It depends.   If he would be determined to be a professional gambler, it would go on a Schedule C, Other Expenses, as gambling losses (or technically I would describe as "buy-ins") that offset the gr... See more...
It depends.   If he would be determined to be a professional gambler, it would go on a Schedule C, Other Expenses, as gambling losses (or technically I would describe as "buy-ins") that offset the gross 1099-reported income.  If not a professional, two options - if he itemizes, I'd report as gambling losses/buy ins on Schedule A.  This is cleanest and would match the gross 1099 IRS reporting.  if he doesn't itemize, this leaves you with reporting contrary to the gross 1099 that may result in CP2000 correspondence from IRS.  I would add an explanatory footnote/sub schedule to the Other Income line of 1040  showing the gross 1099 less his own buy in contributions.  If he is absolutely certain of this 1099 accounting, then I would go for it - and advise him it may get scrutinized and to keep good documentation of it, then you fight it in a CP2000 correspondence audit if necessary.  Good luck, Eric J
ALL GOOD!  I exited and re-entered a few times today, and it finally worked.  Whew.  I feel better now thanks!  🙂 
The Client Status says EF Accepted.  I assume this means Accepted by IRS?  But still sitting in the PENDING tab.  
I think so..I'm at HomeBase View>EF Center (in dropdown box at top left).  Three tabs at the top of this view:  All - Pending - Accepted.  The EF Accepted returns are still sitting in this Pending ta... See more...
I think so..I'm at HomeBase View>EF Center (in dropdown box at top left).  Three tabs at the top of this view:  All - Pending - Accepted.  The EF Accepted returns are still sitting in this Pending tab view.  
Client status in Pending tab shows "EF Accepted",  Why doesnt it move to the ACCEPTED tab?|  thank you, Eric J
Great, thanks!
Thanks!
CAN WE INPUT CUSTOM TEXT ONTO A PRE-PRINTED TAX FORM?  FOR EXAMPLE, WHEN I PREPARE FORMS 1040X AMENDED RETURNS, I LIKE TO MAKE CUSTOMIZED NOTATIONS AT THE TOP OF FORMS (eg "AS AMENDED") THAT I ATTACH... See more...
CAN WE INPUT CUSTOM TEXT ONTO A PRE-PRINTED TAX FORM?  FOR EXAMPLE, WHEN I PREPARE FORMS 1040X AMENDED RETURNS, I LIKE TO MAKE CUSTOMIZED NOTATIONS AT THE TOP OF FORMS (eg "AS AMENDED") THAT I ATTACH TO THE 1040X.  THX ERIC J
Thanks!  Yes possible but not an ideal solution.  It adds an ugly watermark that cannot be removed.  I find it frustrating that the general print options allow for a masking of the preparer PTIN in t... See more...
Thanks!  Yes possible but not an ideal solution.  It adds an ugly watermark that cannot be removed.  I find it frustrating that the general print options allow for a masking of the preparer PTIN in the client copy but not the preparer EIN!  I'm more concerned with the theft of my EIN than my PTIN!  Eric J
Is there a way to hide/mask your firm's preparer EIN on the client copy?  I don't want my EIN floating around on my clients' paper copies of their tax returns.  I figured out how to mask the PTIN but... See more...
Is there a way to hide/mask your firm's preparer EIN on the client copy?  I don't want my EIN floating around on my clients' paper copies of their tax returns.  I figured out how to mask the PTIN but I'm more concerned about my EIN!  Thanks!  Eric J [phone number removed]