Before you start:
- Authorized returns remain authorized until the primary taxpayer SSN or the EIN is changed. If the SSN or EIN is changed, a second authorization will be required.
- An authorization is stored within the data file and can't be lost, even if you backup, restore, rename, or move the file.
- All copies of an authorized data file will keep the authorization of the original file.
- The Pay-Per-Return Audit Report will record each authorization. Multiple authorizations for a single client are the result of authorizations of multiple data files.
- Once a return has been printed or e-filed, it's authorized and can be re-printed without incurring charges again.
Table of contents:
|‣ How to avoid duplicate charges
|‣ What causes duplicate charges
|‣ Request a pay-per-return refund
|‣ Common questions about pay-per-return charges
How to avoid duplicate charges:
- Authorizing and printing from a single computer.
- Prepare the return in the same client file that contained the extension.
- Making sure the Social Security number (SSN) and EIN are correct before authorizing the return.
- Making sure the correct state returns are attached at the time of authorization.
- See Adding and removing State/City Returns in ProSeries if states were attached in error.
- Avoid creating multiple data files for a single client until the data file is authorized. Copies can be made after the file is authorized, and those copies will maintain the authorization.
What causes duplicate charges:
- If a client file is deleted, and then re-entered, that client will need to be re-authorized.
- If your computer crashes and you need to re-install a new computer, a charge will be incurred.
- If you uninstalled, renamed your program folders, and reinstalled your program, the authorization returns will be deleted.
- If a new unlimited product was recently purchased, you'll need to re-license your program.
- If you print just one page of the form, and then the full form.
Request a Pay-Per-Return refund:
If you encounter duplicate charges and a refund is needed, submit your request using our self-serve request process on My Account. All requests are subject to approval.
- Sign in to My Account.
- From the left side of the screen select Billing ⮕ ProSeries PPR.
- Choose the Request PPR Refund dropdown and select Request a Refund.
- Fill out the form, and Attach the Audit Report.
- For steps to save your audit report to PDF and upload, hover over the next to Report File and follow the instructions.
- Select Submit.
You will receive a confirmation that can be saved, as well as an email confirmation. Save the Tracking Number. You can follow the same steps above and select Track Refund if you would like to see the status of your request. The Tracking Number should be entered in the Enter Case Number field.