This article helps you prepare Form 1040X for a client whose original Form 1040 was prepared by a different preparer or in a different tax program. If you prepared the client's original 1040 in ProConnect, see this article instead.
Table of contents:
|‣ Follow these steps to create a new return
|‣ Follow these steps to create Form 1040X in the program
|‣ Common questions
Follow these steps to create a new return:
The first thing you need to do to amend an individual 1040X for a return not created in ProConnect is to create a new return.
- Go to your Tax Returns list.
- Select the Create tax return button at the top right corner of your screen.
- Select Add new.
- If the client is already present in your Client List, use the Select an existing client section dropdown list instead.
- Select 1040 - Individual for the return Type.
- Enter the client's basic information.
- First name and Last name are required entries.
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the window.
- Choose the return Tax year from the dropdown menu.
- You can use the current year Form 1040 program to amend prior year returns, if desired.
- Click Save.
- On the Profile tab, check the Federal Amended box if you intend to e-file. Make sure to keep the Federal box checked, as well.
- If you're going to paper file the amendment, uncheck all boxes to trigger the appropriate instructions in your client letter.
- Click in the Add a state return to choose a state, if applicable.
- Proceed with the next step of steps to create Form 1040X.
Follow these steps to create Form 1040X in the program:
- Go to the Input Return tab.
- Enter the taxpayer's (and spouse's, if applicable) details in the Client Information screen.
- Select the Dependents screen to add any dependents who will be claimed on the corrected return (1040X column C).
- From the left of the screen, select Miscellaneous Forms and choose Amended Return (1040-X).
- Select General Information and Federal (1040X) from the dropdown menu.
- Under the Return(s) to Amend section, check the box labeled Amending federal return.
- Enter a 1 in 1=amending state return, if applicable.
- Enter the Year to amend (MANDATORY).
- Scroll down to the Miscellaneous Information section and complete any applicable fields.
- Scroll down to the Federal Income Tax Return section.
- Fill in the As Originally Reported column with the amounts from the previously filed 1040.
- These amounts will populate Form 1040X, column A.
- Leave the Correct Amount [Override] column completely blank if you want the program to calculate the corrected amounts. Enter all income, deductions, and credits in the input screens you would use for an original return.
- For example, to report wages, go to Income > Wages, Salaries, Tips (W-2) and enter all of the W-2 data.
- From the top of the 1040X screen, select Explanation of Changes and enter a Federal explanation of changes to print with the return.
- Go to the Check Return tab and review the 1040X for accuracy.