The following error is generating when trying to electronically file a return:
"Return is in an invalid condition"
How do I resolve this error?
This typically occurs when there's a state or city return attached that's either not needed or hasn't been opened and prepared yet. Use the instructions below to resolve this error.
Part 1 - Make sure the return is marked for e-file:
- Open the Federal Information Worksheet.
- Go to Part VI - Electronic Filing of Tax Return Information.
- Make sure the File federal return electronically checkbox is marked, if applicable.
- Make sure the File state or city returns electronically checkbox is marked, if applicable.
- Make sure the appropriate states and cities are entered in the State(s) box below Select state and city returns to file electronically:.
Part 2 - Make sure there are no states erroneously attached:
- From the File menu, select Remove State/City.
- Review the list for accuracy.
- Highlight any unused state and select Remove, if applicable.
- To remove multiple states, repeat steps 1-3 for each state.
- Run the Final Review on each attached state.
- Resolve any errors.
- Try to e-file again.