Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube royalties

jjg
Level 2

14 year old dependent child receives a 1099-Misc for $1800.00 in royalties from a youtube channel. Should this be reported on Schedule C as earned income and deduct the costs of camera equipment etc or be reported on schedule E as royalties? If reported on Schedule E as royalties can camera equipment be written off?

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
IRonMaN
Level 15

C

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

C

Your answer seems to be rather long-winded.   🤣

IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm always proud of myself when I can provide an answer in less than two letters.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

My state CPA society has a tax forum. I tried to post one of my short Yes answers. The system told me my answer had to be at least 5 characters.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

They obviously have a defective system.

Slava Ukraini!
George4Tacks
Level 15

You betchum!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
sjrcpa
Level 15

Obviously.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

"can camera equipment be written off?"

In either example you provided, what you did not provide is information about the camera equipment. Typically, it is too expensive to "write off." Make sure to learn about Assets and Useful Life and Depreciation, as well as Safe Harbor, for your client.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
jjg
Level 2

All cost under$2500

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

When I see stories about precocious children I always wonder if there are parents in the background who are precocious with assignment of income.  How much of the work is being done by the kid, and how much of the video production is engineered by adults?  Or is this like those commercials by Dandy Dealer Dave, your favorite used-car lot owner, who puts his kids on camera and pays them some of the company profits for being so cute people will want a used Chevy?

0 Cheers
jjg
Level 2

in this particular case I know the child is the one taking videos with his GoPro and drone and does all of his own editing. He called me himself about his taxes. His parents monitor comments and give him guidance on responding to comments.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"I know the child is the one"

Schedule C, because actively operating and not just benefiting from content existing, such as on-screen advertising.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

"His parents monitor comments and give him guidance on responding to comments."

Hey, that might be a great idea elsewhere, too!