Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there home office depreciation recapture at all?

prkwork
Level 4

In depreciating a home office, that office is supposed to be depreciated as commercial real property, which is MACRS straight-line over 39 years. Generally, §1250 property is depreciable real property (i.e., buildings and improvements) that is not subject to §1245. Now, a home office is "buildings and improvements". So, this home office nonresidential real property (in the MACRS 39-year class) is depreciable only under straight-line, this real property is not subject to recapture.

Yet, it has been my understanding that there is home office depreciation recapture, and many posts talk about matters surrounding this. But no one that I have seen explains why such depreciation recapture even exists, given the paragraph above. Please explain.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

When you sell your home that has had prior depreciation, gain is taxable to the extent of depreciation claimed, assuming the rest of the gain is excludable under Section 121. This taxable gain is Unrecaptured 1250 Gain. EDIT: This gain is taxed at a maximum rate of 25% instead of being ordinary income.

This is different than the old 1250 depreciation recapture which was the excess of deprecation claimed over straight-line depreciation.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

When you sell your home that has had prior depreciation, gain is taxable to the extent of depreciation claimed, assuming the rest of the gain is excludable under Section 121. This taxable gain is Unrecaptured 1250 Gain. EDIT: This gain is taxed at a maximum rate of 25% instead of being ordinary income.

This is different than the old 1250 depreciation recapture which was the excess of deprecation claimed over straight-line depreciation.

Ex-AllStar
prkwork
Level 4

Just to clarify: The gain is taxable to the extent of depreciation claimed or depreciation that could have been claimed. If this also is no more, tell me and cite where. Thanks.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Depreciation allowed or allowable is still the rule.

Ex-AllStar
GingerU
Level 2

that is incorrect, unless I am reading  Pub 587, pg 15 (2022) incorrectly.  It says that "If you can show by adequate records or other evidence that the depreciation you actually deducted (the allowed depreciation) was less than the amount you were entitled to deduct (the allowable depreciation), the amount you cannot exclude (and must subtract from your total gain when figuring your exclusion) is the amount you actually deducted."

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

IRS Publications are not authoritative.

Ex-AllStar